1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Tweaks -or- Removing the BS

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Piobaireachd, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Well, I bit the bullet and downloaded the free Windows 10. It only took about 24 hours to finish! Then I selected Customized Installation and got rid of all the "call home" stuff. I have not yet done the other stuff, but I already like Windows 10 much better than 8.1, except for one problem. I cannot reply to my Windows Live mail. It gives me error messages. Meanwhile, I get notices that I need to download NET Framework 3.5 to get an app to work, but doesn't name the app. So I go on the Internet and find out that I need to go to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off >Dot the option: NET Framework 3.5 (includes NET 2 & 3). I go there and do that AND un-dot the NET Framework 4.6. Advanced Services version below it. It moves to "Downloading" and quickly fills the green indicator. Then nothing else happens. I repeat, this time keeping both versions checked, but that won't work either--not surprising. Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. Anyone got words of wisdom for me?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Why not use the web interface instead of trying to download to your computer?

mail.live.com

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for reminding me, Tom. I have had an outlook.com site ever since I had to go on Windows 8, but I wasn't using it. Right now my mail is coming into the current email box. Then I have to go to the outlook.com site to respond to that mail! Tomorrow I'll figure out what I need to do to move it all to the new site and still keep my current email address. I'm too tired to do it now.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

6. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Finally took the plunge, so far everything working OK.
    Thanks for all the tips

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

Anyone feel free to respond to below.

Todd, I really appreciate the effort and thought you put into your post above and the one before that. However, I have a failing. I don't functionally understand just about anything you've said. The words are English but they are Greek in meaning to me. I guess turning 70 and being away from Windows for five or so years have worn on me more than I knew.

OK when I installed the first thing in setting things up was everything that Windows asked if I wanted to do such and such, (usually some form of call MS Home), I always said no. Always.

Now the next step. At a certain point a menu of questions came up about apps. I asked if I wanted to enable or disable--or words to that effect. (Even now I'm writing this on my OS X.) Now normally disable would mean just that--dead. But no...it says if you disable the app it may limited or restrict the capabilities. I said disable to all of the ones where it was asking me.

Now to your uninstall posts. Two parts. First part I've mentioned in that I really don't understand the directions or steps to uninstall that you've posted. And two, as a home user why would I want to uninstall all of that stuff? If it were an office computer on a network...maybe????? By the way I'm the only user of the computer and there will never anyone else.

Finally one additional issue and question. The clean install took up about 40GB. That's a lot in my mind. I know that it took a lot of Windows 7 files which IIRC also had a lot of XP files sucked up in it, (WOW?) Anyway anyway to uninstall any of the old Window 7 and if there XP stuff so all that I have is just the clean Windows 10 and nothing else other than what I've added after install of Windows 10. (Some security software.)

Gracias.

ADDENDUM: Actually now that I've played with it for a while it seems a lot better than first impressions. I think the prior Windows interfaced burned in my brain distorted my view of Windows 10 which is pretty logical friendlier in certain ways aside from it wants MS to own me.

8. Biker

As I mentioned here, MS has set the defaults in Windows 10 to call home for a bunch of stuff. Going in and disabling things increases the privacy factor on your machine. Otherwise, MS is going to know a lot more about you and your machine than is acceptable in my book.

Going in and removing a lot of the "bloat" using Todd's procedure also assists in the privacy aspect of the machine. It also assists in getting it to act more like Windows 7. Bear in mind, Microsoft now views the Windows OS as a service, and will try to get you to provide as much information to them as possible in the process.

With a bit of work and under the hood tweaking, it's possible to whip Windows 10 into line and make it act like a stand alone OS. Otherwise, everything you do on the machine is being reported back home to Microsoft, and that's just unacceptable to me.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Thanks for the input. As you deduced when I've been asked the question of yes or no by the OS I've always said no in some factor so I'm with you on the privacy thing. I tend to me more liberal than I used to be about privacy specifically for me setting a lower standard than I would advise for most people. The privacy areas I choose are now more customized for me as my standing and activity in mainstream life diminishes.

Regarding Todd's advice aside from not fully understanding what he was referring to when he said remove and HOW to do it I'm unclear on exactly what he is saying in how to do it, (due to my it's techno Greek to me in terms of commands or instructions,) but I'm unclear why you want to remove things like the clock, cameras and photos as a home user.

Finally I take it that in the app menu that I stumbled across where I disabled them what's the difference between enabled and disabled as the language one gets when disabling it says in my interpretation that I've really not disabled it I've just limited its abilities. Limited in what way?

It's really nice to have an OS that I used on a regular normal basis, OS X which gives me the freedom to never NEED Windows 10 per se so I can take my sweet time bumbling through it.

I must admit that 10 seems more interesting or fun as a new Windows and return to the Windows environment compared to all the previous Windows OS all of which except 8 that I've used. (Well, all except Vista. When that came out I went to the computer store and played with Vista for a while. At that time I was very experienced home XP user and I said what an incredible piece of junk Vista was given it was touted as five-years in development and the new and greatest advancement in Windows. I was appalled at what represented a five-year main priority at MS finished flagship project and OS. Thankfully Windows 7 turned out, (IMO), to be what Vista was supposed to be.

More later.

Sidebar: Remember when this forum was at its peak in terms of active posters to what it is now? I don't mean that negatively in anyway. It's just amazing how over time how much things can change or morph.

The way we've all been around so long, (well some of us), and are aging this may be the first genuinely specialized but also personal forum site that simply literally dies off with its members. LOL!

Dang, even ethics he of the hundreds of thousand posts is pushing fifty. And Biker, at your age--well you've probably got the dogs trained now to fetch the brew from the fridge so you don't have to get up from the computer.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  10. Biker

Much of the bloat being removed isn't really necessary. These programs are those that tend to maintain a constant connection with Microsoft and the Microsoft Store.

In addition, if you do connect to the store for any reason, it wants you to set up a separate Microsoft account. When you do this, it changes your Windows login from your standalone username to your MS account. Your machine then dials home every time you log into Windows.

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

The interesting opposition was driven off, Joseftu and Rav and the rest. All we got left now is the choir and who wants to preach to the choir? And I'd love to see the statistics of % staff posts vs % ordinary member posts, and let's not include Leon in non-staff please.

The biggest mistake GA ever made is driving off the opposition. Arguments aren't interesting when there is only one side presented.

What I would really like explained to me is why a forum this small needs a dedicated server. I'm running 3-4 websites with more traffic on my shared hosting account, although I just dumped 2-3 of them in the recent weeks because I decided to leave that segment of the Internet (like image hosting).

By eliminating the opposition you turned GA into a vanity forum.

12. ethics

I'd wish you'd leave, but here you are. Still.

13. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I wish people would stay on point in a discussion.

I just got two mini-PCs for use in HTPC, and Cortana just bugs the hell out of me. But when Cortana and I are on the same computer I'm the baddest ass bitch. I also learned to not sign into log into MSFT and to turn off almost every option. I succeed in killing Cortana but still working on getting rid of the other bloat.

Cortana kept disapproving of my configurations and switching them back. I finally dumped the bitch. Kicked her to the curb. I switch my .JPG and .GIF to irfanView and next thing I know Cortana is switching it back.

Microsoft is getting as bad as Apple.

Most of this topic is 2 years old. Is there going to be any update?

14. Arc

Arc Full Member

Resurrected today I see your almost two-year-old post was. It appears that you, and a few others too, had their wish granted have! The power of wishes being granted I wish that I had.

What's your secret?

15. Susan Addams

Did I walk into something I shouldn't have stepped in?

This is a sticky topic. If you don't want it resurrected just un-stick it. Trust me, I've owned forums, I've been admin, mod, etc. Nobody will reply to this topic if you just un-stick it.

Just one thing to say: Windows Classic Start Menu. And kill Cortana. And Siri, don't for a minute think I'm not considering stabbing you in your eye! LOLOL! ;) ;) ;)

16. ethics

I use Oil of Olay. Soft skin, but harsh attitude. :p

17. Susan Addams

Now that is just funny Leon. :) Matter of fact I make my own soap from olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, castor oil and just the right amount of lye to give it that proper zing. Then I add a few girly things to make it look nice and smell nice. :)

Most of the stuff you find in stores are what we call detbars: detergent bars. They come from a chemical factory. I wouldn't wash my dog with that stuff because I love my dog!

This topic is quite amusing. It's a Windows 10 topic that doesn't discuss Windows 10. How quaint! :lolaway-5:

Allene likes this.