1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Tweaks -or- Removing the BS

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Piobaireachd, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Here are some of the tweaks I'm doing to Windows 10 in preparation to deployment in an enterprise environment.

We also disable "Automatic Updates" as a group policy because we are using centralized management.

Install Windows 10 using “custom installation”. Turn off everything that calls home to Micro$oft.

You will need to find PowerShell. Go to start and type PowerShell. You need administrator rights, so right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

Run PowerShell as an administrator

Get-AppxPackage *3d* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Alarms and Clock:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:

Get-AppxPackage *communi* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Camera:

Get-AppxPackage *camera* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Office:

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Skype:

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Started:

Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Groove Music and Film & TV:

Get-AppxPackage *zune* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Maps:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:

Get-AppxPackage *solit* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Money, Sports, News, and Weather:

Get-AppxPackage *bing* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall OneNote:

Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall People:

Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Phone Companion:

Get-AppxPackage *phone* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Photos:

Get-AppxPackage *photo* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Store:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Voice Recorder:

Get-AppxPackage *soundrec* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Xbox:

Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage

##Note## You will get a long error. Just ignore it. It was removed.
    dsl987 and ethics like this.
  2. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Here is an easier way:

1. Remove all provisioned packages:
    Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage -online

2. Remove all "Modern Apps" from the system (all accounts):
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppXPackage

I found that my original post only removed the apps from the current users. This should remove the apps from all users and prevent the apps from being reinstalled when creating a new user.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    dsl987 likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm glad there are people like you in the world! Fighting in the name of preventing that God awful Microsoft bloat from wasting so much resources and space.

I doubt I'll be going to Windows 10 myself, but if I do I'll be sure to look up this post and follow your recommendations.

I miss the days when I'd buy an OEM Windows and all the pieces of a computer, and in 1-2 hours have a fully functional system with no bloat and no branding.
  4. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I have no choice. We are encrypting all of our mobile computers (laptops and tablets) with Sophos. Regular Windows 7 Pro won't allow you to use Bitlocker; just 8, 8.1, or 10. I can upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise, but that is no longer available. Going to 10 is just making it easier.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

And you have no choice because you are working in an enterprise environment where you are directed what will be and your job is to make it so.

I've switched my desktop to Debian but admittedly I rarely use it. I can't say I'll be thrilled to commit to Debian for my next laptop. I use the Debian desktop for various tasks. I live on my Windows 7 HP laptop, for business, for fun, for everything. We'll just have to see what happens when my Win7HP laptop eats it, and you may find me eating my words about not using any more MSFT products.

I tried to switch to a mini-Mac several months ago, as my next desktop -- and because I wanted to develop iPhone and iPad apps, but after a couple days of utter frustration I returned it to the store and paid the restocking fee. No matter what all the Mac users say about Apple products being easy to use I couldn't make the mini-Mac do a damned thing. Looks like I won't be writing any apps.
  6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This results in an error on my machine. Seems it doesn't like -AllUsers

Took a peek on TechNet, and it's not listed as a valid parameter.
  7. Biker

Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppXPackage -Confirm

Works rather well. :D
    Piobaireachd likes this.
  8. Biker

Piobaireachd likes this.
  9. Biker

Hate the tiles in the start menu? You can get rid of all of them. Once they're gone, you can now drag the edge of the menu to resize it properly.
  10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Funny how the more advanced Windows gets the more crap we have to delete. Unknowledgeable people aren't aware they are there so those people are at risk for all kinds of vulnerabilities.

I won't use anything "cloud." If you want you can have your own cloud -- at home -- like that provided by the Western Digital MyBookLive network attached storage drives (see Amazon) which come in 1 to 8 TB (4TB RAID) and can be enabled for external access. I have 4 of them and none are enabled for access from the outside.

It's my data and I want it to stay my data. If you store your data somewhere else outside your physical control then it's not your data any more. Oh it's supposed to be your data when it's in the cloud, but cloud security is only as good as the provider, and with everything but our assholes being hacked these days I trust NOTHING on the Internet.

So please, people, either don't use cloud services, or at least make sure you have nothing sensitive stored on the cloud. And the latter is sometimes difficult to guarantee (nothing sensitive) with all the background stuff going on, and only an expert may be aware of them.

The only way to be sure is to absolutely avoid ALL cloud storage. (Also, when you get rid of a computer, take the HDDs out and destroy them.)
  11. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Yup, my mistake.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Please make this a sticky.
  13. Biker

Afraid you'll lose the thread? :yellowlaugh:
  14. Greg

Greg Full Member

Drag the little icon in your address bar and drop it on your desktop. Then you won't lose it, and you can make a valuable contribution to your desktop clutter.
  15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I will most likely lose this thread by the time I need it, and there may be others like me who'd benefit from a sticky later on. We aren't switching to it until we get new computers. Thanks.

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

See my reply to Tom.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

See my reply to your reply. Oops, this is it. :D

Copy everything on your desktop into a file and save that when you archive your computer.

Oh what the heck, post here when you get that computer and ask us about the Win10 tweaks. :D
  18. Allene

Allene Registered User

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'll put it on my desktop for you Allene. :)
  20. Allene

Allene Registered User

It looks like Tom made it a sticky already, thanks.