1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Win98SE] Defrag problem

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by BigDeputyDog, Jun 7, 2003.

1. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I was given a computer for my daughter's room. It is a 200mhz pentium with Win98SE loaded on it. I attempted to do a defrag on it and it locked up so tight, a ctrl-alt-del wouldn't even shut it down! I went out on the web and found Diskeeper, which has a defrag utility, and downloaded it and installed it. When I went to run Diskeeper, it too locked up!!

Any suggestions??

Thanks... :)

BDD... :{)
  2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Can you run chkdsk on the volume?
  3. BigDeputyDog

Oh no!!! Scandisk locks it up too!!! :cry:

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Not a good sign :(

Can you browse the volume without issue?
  5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Most defrags do a scandisk on the front end and likely the same problem is manifesting when you try to defrag and run scandisk.

I *think* the windows defrag utility gives the option to skip a scandisk when it's performed...have you tried that and then a scandisk?

Would also suggest trying to run it in safe mode as swap file changes made on the fly make running defrag a frustrating proposition on machines with high swap file utilization.

How much of the volume is utilized just out of curiosity?
  6. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Try booting it up in safe mode and then do a scandisk and a defrag. That should leave you with minimum stuff running in the background.
  7. BigDeputyDog

Thanks Mid and Coot!! You guys are the bestest!! :thumbsup:

I booted into safe mode and disk defrag is running now... :)

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Run scandisk when it's completed to be sure any bad sectors that may exist have been flagged as unusable by the utility.
  9. IamZed

IamZed ...

Good deal if it works. A 200M P2 is all she will need for non computer related studies and surfing. Of course the gamers here will blow chunks at the concept of recovering that computer. I play no games so it sounds good to me for a daughters PC.
  10. BigDeputyDog

Thanks for the encouragement, Zed!! :)
    If she wants to game, she can use my computer... I've got my cable modem networked with her computer and it will be perfect for what she needs to do... :) (Besides, she's only with me every other weekend... )

11. BigDeputyDog

In fact, I'm now on her computer testing out the internet connection...
    All seems well!!! :thumbsup:

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Coolness :cool:
  13. IamZed

IamZed ...

If you have set this up for your daughter, and she is not always there perchance you could crunch a bit with it?
  14. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

15. BigDeputyDog

I've thought about doing exactly that, Zed.. If I had more information on it (what it does, how do I do it, does it affect my other computer, is that computer too slow, etc.) I'd be willing to give it a shot... :)

16. IamZed

IamZed ...

I would go to BBR to learn all that.
  17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I had some similar problems recently BBD. As Coot said, booting to Safe Mode and running Defrag worked for me also. More stuff here.

I had issues with Scandisk not behaving as well. Safe Mode was the answer there too. Thats what I get for having ME installed.:mad:
  18. Neo

Neo Banned

I've used all the MS Operating Systems. I sometimes think the only reason ME was created was to promote the move to XP which compared to ME is like moving from the prehistoric age into modern times.

As much as MS is hated by so many I am a bit surprised that that ME came and went without more criticism--not that it didn't get some.
  19. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Windows (M)istake (E)dition.

If anyone is still running this OS I would strongly advise upgrading to XP.
  20. Neo

Neo Banned

ADDENDUM to the good advice above: Do a clean install as opposed to a genuine uprade.

NEVER do an upgrade unless you have no choice. Especially with an MS OS.