1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win XP Pro Format?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by HaYwIrE, Jan 29, 2003.

1. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Does anyone here have the solution to this problem?

Thanks.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

dunno man - i have a full version (pirate) of winxp pro.

i did this 2 nights ago with no issues.

i have a 20 gig and an 80 gig drive - the 20 is master.

i stick the winxp cd in.

i tap f8 til bios settings comes up.

i make sure it boots from cd drive first.

i follow along with the blue screens - delete partition c on the 20 - select it to format, insall xp on it.

no troubles at all.

cant figure out your deal without seeing it im afraid.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

From reading your posts in the link, it sounds to me as though your machine did not actually boot up with the CD. When you boot to the CD, it shouldn't CARE what's on the partition(s) you are trying to delete.

You MUST boot up with the CD. Follow the blue screens, and delete the partition. Re-create it and format it. Then install XP on that new partition.

In other words, "What Domhain said." :)

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Haywire, use a W98 startup disk and boot to it. It cannot read the NTFS partition, but it does recognize it as a partition. FDISK should allow you to delete any partition. You can then put in your WinXP CD and reboot to do a clean install.

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

First Screen When I boot to CD I have to choose Windows XP Home Edition or Windows Setup.

I choose the latter which starts setup and gives me "This portion prepares Windows to run on your computer". I hit Enter.

Didnt you want to chose the former?

6. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

All is well. I dunno how I did it, but I did it. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. :)

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

It is Magic. I know that magic well. I have grown to hate the magic that is kept in the smoke trapped in the processor. Sometimes the dark forces overtake the magic and you see things like what happened here. The only cure is chanting and praying to the smoke gods to repel the dark forces. When the dark forces are repelled, all we are left with is the lingering as to why. Forever after we will have that doubt creep into any problem that arises. I curse that doubt.