1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win XP 2 Win98

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by HaYwIrE, Jan 6, 2003.

1. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

What are the exact procedures for formatting a HD on a P-III 450 with WinXP Pro on it and installing Win98 on it.

Don't ask why. It's not my computer. LOL!

The reason I ask is I can't get into DOS with WinXP.

Thanks! :)

2. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

www.bootdisk.com

get the win98 se bootdisk, and you have everything you'll need to format and reinstall.

3. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Ok, I already have one of those. Are you positive that that'll work? I ask only because I'll be doing this in an office tomorrow and I'll have no access to the Net until the PC is formatted and finished.

So, I just type in <b>a:\format c:</b>, right?

4. Scott

it worked for me the other day---popped in the win98se startup disk, A:> format c: restart with disk in, pick option "start PC with cdrom support", figure out what drive is the CDROM (that has the windows disc in it, right? :)) then type (if CDROM is E:)) E: setup

should work

5. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Okie dokie. I'll give it a shot. Thanks ScOtt. :)

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

You might want to include the /s to make the drive bootable before even installing Windows 98.

A:> format /s c:

Many people don't know this trick, but I usually copy the entire "win98" directory on the installation CD to the hard drive. Then, run setup.exe from the hard drive instead of the CD. Installing Windows 98(or 95 or Me) this way will prevent Windows from ever prompting the user to enter the installation CD. Of course, it also takes up a hundred megabytes or so of disk space. If you are low on disk space, it might not be a good idea.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Haywire, if I were you, I would just toast the entire harddrive and then reformat the drive and start with a brand new drive.

I think you can get the file toastc from almost anywhere, but if you need it, I'm sure I can dig around and zip it up for you. Unzip all files onto a disk and boot up with it, let it do it's bootingup thing, and then just toast the drive.

Works really well when you have a virus that refuses to go away.

8. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Fdisk...

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Is that necessary or is this recommended?

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh wow. I remember someone having an issue with reverting back to win98 from xp on the other site. The file system has to be reverted back too doesn't it? I mean back to fat32 from that ntfs or whatever the frig xp suggests you change to?

If I'm talking out of my butt here just let me know but look into that...I remember someone having an issue with that and going back to using 98 after not liking xp.

11. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

What's "toast" the HD? And how do I convert the HD back to FAT32?

Thanks RR. That's not a bad idea as I won't be leaving my Win98SE disc with them for future installations of 3rd party software that sometimes requires it.

12. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Fdisk is necessary if he's running XP under NTFS rather than FAT32. If the disk is already FAT32 a simple format should suffice, but if its NTFS you'll have to fdisk it then recreate the partition as FAT32 then format it. My suggestion would be to fdisk, then format /s to make bootable and copy the cd over to the harddrive as mentioned above by rredline.:thumbsup:

13. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Ok... Format it with the boot disk and then partition it as FAT32.

What is the DOS command to do this?

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ah ok, thanks Twingo. :)

15. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

To convert back what you'll want to do is copy fdisk.exe onto your boot disk you're using. Then boot up and go into fdisk and delete partition. It most likely will show up as 'non dos' partition so choose delete 'non dos' partition and follow instructions. Then you'll want to create new partition and make it Primary and follow instructions for naming and size however you want.

First of all you'll want to check to make sure this is necessary by checking in XP to see the filesystem. Right click my computer and go to manage and go to the defrag part and it should say the filesystem of your C drive as either NTFS or FAT32. If NTFS follow above instructions for getting it back to FAT32.

After you do the convert to Fat32, exit fdisk and restart comp and then format c: /s and you should be ready to copy the cd or just install.

16. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

The command is simply "fdisk", Hay - it will guide you through after that. The first thing is to delete the "Non-DOS" partition, which would be the NTFS. Give the "fdisk" command again and partition the HD; depending on what you want, you will begin with creating a primary DOS partition and making it active. You may simply create one large partition, or more than one, but the primary will always be the active one. It is up to you if you create other partitions - it will tell you the size of the drive, and how much is left with each partition creation. Then you will restart and "format c: /s" to begin the format process.

This is all off the top of my head, so I hope it makes sense... if not just let me know where I lost you... ;)

*edit* Had an extra restart in there that is not necessary...**

17. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Nope. I think I've got it now. Thanks everyone! Much appreciated! :)

18. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

19. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

What part of, "<i>I think I've got it now. Thanks everyone!</i>" didn't you understand? It's finished, dude. The computer's back at home and livin' a healthy 'nuther year or so. Screw Microshaft!

And who the hayul you callin' ugly? :mad:

<small><b>TRIVIA:</b> What great man coined the phrase, "<i>Political Correctness is an intellectual cancer which has infected today's society with it's oozing puss</i>", or something to that effect?

100 bucks to da winner. All entries must be sent to me via IM.</small>

20. Scott

relay HaY--------that's his screen name. he ends all his posts with it :).