1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win Media Player 9.0 Released

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by bruzzes, Jan 8, 2003.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am too lazy to look but what does this buy me in comparison to the previous versions?

In other words, why should I upgrade? (Question not only towards Bruzzes. :))

3. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

I'm not really sure what all is better on it. I just installed it this morning and played a few files and nothing broke so thats all I can say so far. The only thing I can think is if you didn't have XP and were stuck on MP7, then you should have the nicer features from MP8 that XP has had for awhile, but even that I'm not sure what it is. MS does a really good job of making you want the upgrades without any real reason :haha: I guess I'm just brainwashed into it. :_

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

WMP 9 has Digital Rights Management (DRM) in it. It is essentially a host of software restrictions intended to control how you use media files with the intention of protecting the rights of copyright holders. M$ has indicated that they will provide WMP9 to the Linux crowd if they would like to use it, provided M$ retains all rights to it.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks coot!

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

<b><i>That</b></i> is what I was trying to remember the terminology to ask about!! I had heard that WMP9 would literally change the files you may have ripped from your CD's as they are played with the program. If that is the case, I wouldn't have the damn thing! :mad:

I already am furious that many of the CD's I purchase are unplayable on my computer, and that I have to literally find ways to defeat copy protections to use my own music.

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

You can turn off Digital Right Management if you want.

8. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

turn off, not likely

I find the idea that one may turn off DRM in any M$ product is hard to take at face value.

I recall similar issues with UNdead software when talking about REAL player.

The idea that one may not have functionality of a free SW is one thing, yet for it to (pro)actively mess with files leaves me quite angry.

MO FWIW This is not an upgrade.
    Ugly