1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 10 and the monster that MSFT put in

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I have a "hockey puck" HDTV PC that has limited HDD and got tired of Windows continually updating while I wanted to watch TV, so I turned off Windows Update Service couple months ago, figuring I'd periodically turn it on and off when I wanted to do it rather than when MSFT wanted to do it.

It worked for a while but I discovered Windows turned it back on, and now it's complaining that it doesn't have enough HDD to do the update. I checked and evidently I have 32 GB HDD and 8 GB free, and Windows says it needs to do the update but it needs at least 8 GB to do it. I presume we have a mere sliver of a difference that it's almost got enough HDD to do it but by a few bytes.

So now it's like a snake that swallowed a cow. If you know snakes they have double lower jaws and once they start ratcheting food in they can't let go.

I have only two programs installed: Classic Menu and Firefox. Other than that Windows ate my whole HDD. I have no files on it, no music, no documents, nothing.

I guess turning off WU service wasn't such a good idea but I didn't think it would build up 8 GB of updates this soon! Now you know why I was getting pissed off having the stupid thing updating almost daily. (WTH is with them, updating so often? What happened to Patch Tuesday?)

So now I get these error messages about twice daily, not enough room to update, and I see no way to make room to update, nor do I see any control panel option to let me select which updates so I can install a few then let the rest go.

This was a stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid thing for MSFT to insist that Win 10 Home users HAD TO USE WINDOWS UPDATE AND CAN'T TURN IT OFF.

So now I'm stuck in a corner and can't update my Win10 and the "can't update" messages are just as annoying as being continually being bugged by Windows wanting to update while I wanted to watch TV.

What do I do?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

3. Susan Addams

There's been a development this morning. I got a new message "click here to fix problem" so I did and now it's showing "working on updates 14%. don't turn off your PC... etc." It must have figured out how to fix itself.

I wish I had known about Win 10 Home before I bought it, and got Pro instead.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think it's fixing itself. Whether it will work after... :)

I miss the old days when you bought the parts and the Windows CD.

4. Susan Addams

It ended up apparently successfully, if you use Microsoft's point of view. It looks like they installed a bunch of new crapware and may have added back some I took out. I guess I'll have to go weeding again.

I miss the good old days when a computer would just sit there like a dumb lump of metal and silicon until you decided you wanted to change it. Now Windows wants to change YOU.

Mostly what it is to me is a Fox News box and a You Tube player. Oh, and as an output device for my Roku and my Blue-ray player.

This is my den HTPC. I do any serious movie watching on my living room HTPC. My den setup is primary for distraction while I'm typing online.