1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will History Repeat Itself?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by SixofNine, Sep 7, 2014.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Nixon lost to JFK, the first Anointed One, and came back to defeat a decent guy (HHH) saddled with his predecessor's foreign policy. Romney lost to AO II and is now in an excellent position to win in 2016, in no small part because of the current administration's foreign policy.

Fox News Sunday even showed a clip from the presidential debates in which Obama mocked Romney for saying that Russia was the biggest foreign policy threat.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't know. Today is a completely different atmosphere than it was in the 60s when Nixon won. First, there was no Internet back then and all news was obtained from television, newspapers or the radio.

The media was a different animal back then as well. They actually reported. There was none of this ratings game and blowing things out of proportion that you see today. I have a feeling if Romney were to run again, we'd see the media do their utmost best to galvanize the left and whip them into a frenzy.

A good chunk of the left could care less about foreign policy. Well, let me rephrase that. As long as the US appears to be weak and doesn't flex its military muscle, the left is perfectly content to let things go to hell in a handbasket.

Allene likes this.