1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why they hate me: An Arab student speaks out

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Yeah, I know it's the WorldNetDaily, but it is a first person account of an American born student of Syrian parents who is being persecuted at Arizona State for his conservative political views. Story Here.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Man, that's terrible what this kid went through. No one should have to go through all that - and the fact that the University created an email in order to blame him... Dude, wtf? What does this say about his University?

You know, I go to a University here in Orlando, and right after 9-11, we didn't see anything on campus or in the paper or anywhere else about it. Prof's wouldn't speak of it, and only at the end of the following term did I have a professor who uses the terrorist event as a subject of discussion - and this was only to show the phenomena of remembering every single detail of what you were doing and where you were and who you were with when a big important event such as the attacks, or JFK's assasination, or the landing of Armstrong on the moon, etc.

I did hear of some Muslim kids getting some trouble from the local rednecks, but for the most part, nothing. Why is that? I like to think I'm pretty 'in to' what goes on in my University - or does this sort of thing only happen in student gvoernment settings?

3. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Welcome to higher education in the US. A teacher in my college was denied tenure because he wasn't PC enough for the college, even though he's a liberal.
    Plus, the Hillel of Concordia University has the honor of being the first Hillel in North America to be kicked off a campus.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Coot, that is one hell of a story. Omar wrote something similar like this for his paper in Jordan. I think it was better received there than what this student went through here.

This is why Communism was feared much more than anything else like Fascism or Nazism. Communism is insidieous and veils itself on good intentions.

If anyone wants a better understanding of this silent propaganda, read the Black Book of Communism.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Liberals falsely set-up Conservative Student, Conservative barred from elected office. This kind of thing happened to a lesser extent to The Conservative Evangelicals Club at Candler School of Theology when I was there in the late 80's. Students that were part of it were first looked on with suspicion, by the faculty but wehen the found that the students were more involved in outreach than the average student they revised their opinion.

When I went back to work on my Master's Degree is history and we were discussing african slavery's origins, the fact that Islamic middile men bought slaves in the interior and brought the to the coast, that those that actively took slaves were competing tribesmen from the same area, and that the Slave on the Journey to Amercia though poorly and brutally treated had a longer lifespan on average than those that were kept by the other tribes in country was glossed over even though in the texts we were studying. The Professor proceeded to threaten and ridicule me till I dropped his class and took the course under another professor, which I passed with an A.

This is where I learned that liberal professor's are not liberal with facts that oppose their world view. Also where the word liberal began to have other meanings to me.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Okay I may be liberal, but these people are certifiable, and for ripping down the American flag downright unpatriotic. There are some people so extreme in their views, that it blinds such things as realism, kindness, and understanding. It seems to be the case at this university. A wise man once said "Don't let school interfere with your education." (Samuel Clemmens aka Mark Twain) and although it seems at the time it was originally meant as the truth, the older I get, the more sense it seems to make. It seems that schools have become so immersed in politics, that they have become practically inept at their function. Although there are private schools and stuff, in the end I feel that we do need major reform in our schools. We need to scrap the current system completely, and start from scratch. Then will we effectively be able to fix what is wrong with school in America. However scrapping our current system would be a huge drain on the resources of our country. So what would the best way to fix this problem be? We need a gradual change. A little here, a little there. Eventually it will add up, and once again the primary focus of school could be education, and not politics.

7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Sir J, I have to respond to this...I think you're referring to Robert Johnson, from the History department?
    He was denied tenure, at first, but according to his department, PC had nothing to do with it. You might not take their word for it, but he said the same thing himself.
    In any case, the whole case is now moot, because he was just reappointed and invited to reapply for tenure and promotion after all.
    There are examples of cases like the woman in the link coot posted, sure. And there are cases on both sides. The "liberal tyranny" on campus is pretty much a myth. So is the "conservative tyranny." College departments have their own cultures and politics, with no necessary relation to the real world or politics as its known in real life. Too often, it's more a matter of who snubbed whom at the holiday party, who slept with whose ex-wife, and so on.
    It's also vital to remember that there are two sides to the story.
    I know of a case (at another college) where a woman who is being fired for a wide range of incompetencies (inviting students over to her apartment to smoke weed and spend the night, manipulating student evaluations, ridiculing male students) is spreading the story far and wide that she's being fired for her "left-wing" views.

8. Sir Joseph

The reason they gave to deny him tenure was collegiality. It was a bogus excuse because the other reasons did not apply. He was one of the highest rated teachers in the department. The reason he was originally denied tenure was because he disagreed with the chair's wanting to hire a woman teacher who "will know her place and not complain." He also had problems with a teach-in that was very one-sided. Many big historians throughout the US came to his defense, except of course for the teachers union. The PSC (I think that's what it's called.) told him that there's nothing they can do. The union IS a liberal union. Whitewashing this won't work. The students at the college know better.

9. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Sir Joseph, I have a lot of respect for you, and agree with you frequently. And this is probably too off-topic for this thread.
    But, with all respect, collegiality is an extremely common, and extremely valid reason for denial of tenure. And students do not necessarily know better about tenure decisions. In fact, they usually know nothing about tenure decisions--they're not involved in those decisions, not privy to any of the facts or the decision-making process. Frequently (maybe unfortunately) teachers who are highly-rated by students are denied tenure. There are lots of reasons, some valid, some not.
    The PSC-CUNY (of which I've been a proud member for over fifteen years) is definitely a liberal union, but it's role in tenure disputes is quite often limited...no matter what the politics of the person being denied tenure.
    In any case, this person (who I do not know, and about whose case I have no direct knowledge--I've only read about the case in the <i>Chronicle of Higher Education</i>) has been <b>reinstated</b>. He suffered exactly <b>no</b> consequences from this imaginary "liberal conspiracy" (and he himself did not even claim the conspiracy existed). In fact, it looks to me like the college administration buckled to <b>conservative</b> pressure, ignoring the decision of the professor's own department, the people who are going to have to work with him, and depend on him to pull his share of the department's work.

10. Sir Joseph

a) The reason they said collegiality is because he sometimes let students into the class without registering. Something the chair does as well.
    b) The PSC has responded to denial of tenure in the past,
    c) He was reinstated but he was denied tenure.
    d) Most people on campus wanted him to get tenure. There were petitions and rallies, and trust me, he pulls his share of work.

11. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Liberal-speak.

Tolerance: tolerance only of the social and political order espoused as acceptable. Any other view or speech is automatically hateful and intolerant.

Rule of law: applies only to the tolerant. Intolerant ones, as defined above, do not deserve justice and any means are justified in defeating them.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I've never seen it written more accurately or concisely than in your post.