1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the whole banking system is a fraud.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Arc, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

Gosh Rick, does my individual process of arriving at my religious views then make me an elite or a doofus? ;)

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

It is what it is. On a more serious note any comfort anybody gets from religion is fine with me and I will not try to change their mind. As long as they return the courtesy.

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

Funny. I was raised Christian, had to go to Sunday school. I finally had enough and asked mom and dad if I could go to the church with them instead, because I liked the singing and could listen to or ignore the sermon depending on if it was interesting. I never heard a single sermon that was more boring than the baby talk in Sunday school.

As me and brother got older our parents went less frequently and finally stopped. The last church I was in was that big LDS one in SLC, long time ago. Wow, they surely have a really big organ... (Is that a phallic reference?) ;)

But it's funny, just recently I started wearing the cross again. Things have been happening in my life that I can't explain. I started considering that maybe it's fate. Ex: I just got this idea to buy Amazon stock. It's up almost $250/share from my average purchase price and Friday it closed its highest ever, $1,500.00! ... But I started thinking, what really is fate? How much different is it believing in fate and believing in a supreme being? I bought the cross and chain not because I believe in Jesus but because it just felt like the thing to do. ... Actually I do believe Jesus was a real person. I'm not sure of the rest though. My friend is a devout Catholic and after chatting with her I got the Holy Bible Douay-Rheims 1889 edition (translated into English of course) ebook for $1.99. It's on my iPad, it goes where I go. Maybe I'll start reading it some day. (I also have the complete works of Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, and Dickens. But you do know I'm an English Lit grad.)

Do I believe? I don't know. I've been calling myself agnostic, a chicken way of saying maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe I'm leaning a bit more towards maybe yes. In any case I feel better. But here's my point. It appears that yes, if I am religious then it evidently was chosen by my parents. They still don't attend church but they do believe.

And then here's the joker in the deck. My yoga BFF is Buddhist. I'm interested in learning more about it.

I'll let you know if Schrodinger's cat is alive or dead when I find out.

I think that any religion that teaches peace and getting along with your fellow man is a good thing. I've always been for religions like that whether I believed or not. Everybody getting along together is a good thing!

It's the same thing I feel about sports. (Boring.) Sports provides entertainment for many, provides huge revenue, delivers advertising that stimulates the economy. Sports is great as long as I don't have to watch it. :)

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

John Bernard Books, (AKA Duke), agrees with you.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

More people than you think start out in one religion and end up in another, sometimes through several. Lutherans turn Catholic, then Judaism before becoming Buddhist. Shintos become Christian, then Baptist before settling on Athiest. Different religions appeal to people in different phases of their lives.

6. MemphisMark

I am quite handy around the house. I do amateur plumbing, electrical work and light construction work. I work on floors, but not roofs. I do woodworking and other handiwork. I'm no Norm Abram, but I can turn out a fair quality product with the right tools.

And that's all the skills I'm going to tell you about. :p

Susan Addams likes this.
  7. Susan Addams

Just don't bring your plumbing skills around me! :p

8. MemphisMark

What? I seriously just replaced both toilets in my house. The MBA toilet was upgraded to an handicap model for my wife. I took that old one and replaced the HBA toilet with a cracked base because there were 3 layers (ceramic tile and two linoleum) of floors under that toilet and the prior owners didn't shim it so it was stable. I had to replace the drainage pipe for the MBA because the fuckwad epoxies the flange to the pipe which was unusable because he put the wrong kind of bolts in.

Once I got that completed, I had to remove the old HBA toilet with a hammer, tear up the floor down to the wood, fit a new flange onto the 1951 iron flange that was welded in place, lay down all new floor tiles, then properly install the "new" toilet and rig up a backstop because there was a 4" gap between the back of the tank and the wall because they did things differently "back then."

Oh. "THOSE" kind of plumbing skills. Don't worry Mrs. Addams, I have zero intent of laying any pipe in your household. I have my hands full with that already!

Susan Addams likes this.
  9. Susan Addams

I'm sure you have your hands full with your wife! ;)

Seriously my condo just passed inspection with only minor issues, none of them plumbing. I agreed to a few minor repairs so the next step is the appraisal. My Realtor is pretty sure we'll pass it, but if it appraises lower we'll just have to eat it, better than starting the process out all over.

What I mean to say is that I'm mere weeks away from having no condo and thus no plumbing to be fixed. And a nice big check! :D

Allene likes this.