1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why should it matter?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I like to think of myself as a moderate centrist. I have some liberal views, I have some conservative views. I agree, or disagree, on various issues, with each of the major political parties, according to my thoughts on the matter, rather than the accepted party platform.

My politics are pretty easy-going, actually. Look to the Constitution and Bill of Rights for guidance on tough issues; be lenient when others aren't being hurt; don't sweat the small stuff.

I truly resent being dragged into debates over liberals versus conservatives; the left versus the right; Democrats versus Republicans. Let's be honest: neither extreme has very much good to recommend itself.

The focus on narrowly-defined issues hurts this country far more than helping it. How many qualified, competent judges were denied confirmation or election because of their views on abortion? Far too many. How many federal programs with good intentions, such as Section 8 housing, have deteriorated to the point of corruption because of the inability of the government to focus on managing such programs rather than political in-fighting and bickering?

You know, America is sick of this sort of thing. Americans vote Republican or Democrat for the same reason they are Protestant, Catholic or Jewish: because that's the way they were brought up. The reality is, most Americans don't care about the name of the party in control of the government. They care about jobs, education, health care, etc.

Most Americans care about being left well enough alone to live their lives by their own choosing, and are more than willing to let others do the same.

In these respects, most Americans are just like any other person on this planet. It is time that the far Right and the far Left got over themselves and turned their energy toward more productive things.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Although we disagree on some issues, Steve, we agree on your post above. Well said.

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I agree. I have never voted according to party, other than if there is a canditate I am voting for and he's been endorsed by the independent party, I'll vote on that line. I know people who just go in and vote totally democrat or republican without any concern for the candidate themselves. To me, that's worse than not voting at all.

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

The liberal vrs conservative arguements here are a matter of design. The parties involved would not have it any other way.
    They actually bait if disinterest is shown. They want a good fight and will bend over backwards, by golly, to demand their line of thinking.

I know it bothers you, but if everybody behaved according to your post, there would be little room for discussion and we would certainly miss the entertainment.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well said (again), Steven.

6. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Stevent, the fact there is a far right and a far left keeps one aware. In a seemingly perfect environment, the truly clever and dangerous people would steal away your rights like a thief in the night.

When gardening, put sand in the pot to aggravate the roots to grow.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I've got no problem with the far lunatic fringe, on either hand. The trouble begins when they not only gain access to the halls of power, but begin to control those very same halls.

Our national dialog should not ever be dictated by narrowly-defined interests but rather guided by the interests of the large community.

In many respects, I attribute this unfortunate trend to the ceding of power by the people to the federal government. Things which rightly should fall under the purview of state, county, or local governments all too often end up brought under the aegis of the federal bureaucracy. This is where the true infighting occurs and where the extremes on both sides manifest themselves.

I have to believe that "less is more". The less involvement the federal government takes in matters, the more likely it is that they will be resolved at the proper level, through discourse, mediation, and compromise, rather than fiat.

8. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Well said, Stevent!
    From what I've seen posted, here on GA, many of us agree with your sentiments.

So, ok; now how do we go about convincing the other 100million voters to express this rather obvious 'common sense' view?
    How to convince everyone that voting 'other' than Dem or Rep is NOT wasting your vote. I suspect that (at least in many State elections) the results would be very surprising if folks voted their desire, rather than for the lesser, of the major partys, evils.

It sure would be interesting.

Regards,

9. cdw

You'd have to get something other than a politician running.
    I mean, really....who do you trust that they have up there that would actually have any power to do anything? The whole system is rigged, IMHO. But, I still keep trying...still keep going out there and voting against people, lol.

10. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

But let's face it, neither the Republican party nor the Democratic party represent the far Right and the far Left, respectively. Considering the true extremes of Right and Left, the Republicans and Democrats are just a hair width apart. If the extremes were ever to get over themselves and become more reasonable, would they not just end up where the current major political parties are?

11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

One way that I personally like, but which would be politically impossible and probably unconstitutional, would be to limit the tone and content of political ads, as well as restricting their use just prior to an election. Let me explain:

Many countries have advertising laws which prohibit product comparisons. It's OK to claim "Brand X gets your teeth the whitest!" It's illegal to claim "Brand X gets your teeth whiter than Brand Y!" Catch the difference?

OK, so I support similar restrictions political advertising of all forms in the U.S. Make the candidates state their positions if they want to be heard. Make them focus on why they are the <u>best</u> choice, not a <u>better</u> choice than their opponent. In a nutshell, make "attack ads" illegal.

Also, one week prior to the election, all print and broadcast political advertising must cease. Those annoying road signs can remain, as can various placards, posters, etc. Billboards, no. TV and radio ads, no. Say, nothing larger than 2x3 feet in size. Internet would be OK.

People who have not decided by then do not need advertising swaying their votes.

12. fritzmp

Stevent, you have touched the whole truth to our dilemma.

Our Federal Government is too big and rather than face the hard work locally, we have given the power to them and it's hard to get it back. You are a conservative and a liberal thinker. The difference is, you have your eyes open.

13. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,

I am very happy to see lots of disparate political views, from almost any extreme. I dislike rather much I am afraid, the name calling.
    It ought to be obvious that Ken is liberal, hay conservative, and I strict constructionist, etc. Discussion becomes hard when people yell.
    I asked a vey serious question about what the avowed Christians here thought about how deeply they wished our government to relfect their religion, and was shouted down by a comparison of penis lengths.
    Techie has probably less information as to the history and meaning of liberal vs conservative in this country than he did before he posted his thoughtful comments.
    I think the labels ought to disappear from civilised discourse.
    Ineterestingly, as the name calling has gotten louder, the parties have gotten closer.
    Anyone compare Kennedy-Nixon to Gore-Bush debates?
    I'd vote for the polite and constructive candidate any day. Where the hell is he?

-M

14. cdw

Could be a she, but it sure ain't Hillary... or anyone else that I have seen.

15. fritzmp

"It's hard to soar with eagles when surrounded by turkeys."

"I'd vote for the polite and constructive candidate any day."

I've have heard that the Lucifer can be quite poliete and the name changes to protect the guilty.

16. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

How about this Edwards guy?

SM

17. jamming

jamming Banned

From North Carolina? He didn't say anything important when he announced, just said how he was a lawyer for the little guy, I thought he was trying to get some Personal Injury cases for a minute.

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

As a personal injury lawyer, who's amassed a "fortune" of $14 million by suing corporations, he'd better hope he hasn't been representing people too stupid not to use the hair dryer while taking a shower.

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Wanna fix it? Get the media OUT of politics. Force the politicians to state their views. If they don't, toss the idiot out and holler "NEXT!". For far too long the media has dictacted to the public what each candidate is or isn't for. This has to stop.

20. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I'm not sure I'd blame the media entirely for this. Each candidate has many chances to make their platform public by their very own words, through rallys, web sites, speeches, and debates. It is the fault of the voting (or non-voting) public if they drink up everything the media says without hearing it from the horses mouth. In this day and age of communications, there is absolutely no excuse for the public to be unaware of what each candidate actually stands for -- assuming of course the candidate can make this clear. In which case I totally agree with your first point.