1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why people under 35 are so unhappy

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Short version: Too high of expectations. Those who have lowered are living with mommy and daddy and without producing things on their own -- goes against the human tendon.

Long version here: Why people under 35 are so unhappy

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Gee. How long have we been saying the same thing here? :D

ethics likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I grew up and graduated college when we had a real economy and real jobs for college graduates. After graduation I worked a year paying rent to my parents and then moved into my own apartment. I never looked back, although it was great that I lived only several miles from my family.

These days all you have are mostly McJobs and illegal alien jobs. Good luck with that.

That's what the gummint wants now: everybody dependent on government hand outs.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Nobody promised me a rose garden.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Everybody should have the expectation that when they reach the age of adulthood there should be jobs available to them commensurate with their skills. If they have no skills they should have the expectation that there will be jobs available for the unskilled with training provided on the job. Those would be of course the lowest paying jobs.

What we should NOT expect is just "Hey, there's NO jobs. Nothing available. No matter whether you have a PhD or not even a college degree, you have NO chance of being hired."

That last is an exaggeration, but it tends towards what the problem is today for young people. Jobs are few and far between, difficult to find, even more difficult with those who have a high school degree at best. Without a high school degree or CED you can't even join the military. Those who have NO skills are competing for McJobs with illegal aliens who have no right to live here or work here in USA.

This is one really horrible part of the situation caused by illegal immigration. They say, "No US citizens will take the job at that pay." Well there's a good reason for that. The plentiful supply of illegal aliens has caused the pay for the least skilled jobs to drop. That's the law of supply and demand in action. If we didn't have any illegal immigrants and only US citizens and legal resident aliens were applying for the jobs, they would get filled and at a higher wage.

That excuse that "no US citizens will work for those wages" is bull crap. Take away the illegal aliens and the jobs would still get done, just at a higher wage. And of course the product would be more expensive. Myself, I would be more than happy to pay whatever it costs if I knew that the products I purchase did not involve illegal immigrant labor.

--

We need a REAL seasonal immigrant worker program in the agricultural industry where aliens are allowed to enter the US for harvest season, and then verified that they exited the US and returned to their originating country when these jobs are complete.

--

And we don't need no steenkin' border wall between US and Mexico. We could solve that problem so cheaply it's ridiculous. All we need is a federal government operated program tasked to verify that any job applicant has the legal right to work in the US, and laws that punish employers who do not use the database to verify all prospective employees before they are hired.

The reason illegals come to the US is for jobs. If we had a system that prevented unauthorized people from being hired, with real teeth and harsh punishments for employers who violate it, there would be no illegal immigrants seeking jobs because they'd discover they can't be hired. With no jobs available they either wouldn't come here or would return home.

I'm surprised that is not an issue in the forthcoming Presidential election. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised because I think I know why. The Democrats want the illegals because they know the illegals will probably eventually become Democrat voters, and the Republican capitalists want cheap labor. Neither party wants a system that will keep illegal immigrant labor out of the US, neither party wants to fix the problem because they both benefit from illegal alien workers being here.