1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it OK to have.....

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Dec 16, 2002.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

Scholarship honoring Alger Hiss and Ho Chi Minh? Endowed Academic Chairs honoring W.E.B. Du Bois?

Hiss spied for the Soviet Union, which is confirmed now by the Soviet Archives let out by the New Russian Government.

Ho Chi Minh led a country we were at war with to the cost of 58,183 lives of Americans.

W.E.B. Du Bois In 1961, he joined the Communist Party USA. That same year, he left the United States with his wife, and emigrated to Ghana, where he became a full citizen. Rejecting the USA and the land of his birth.

Would not the people be considered the moral equivilent of Enemies of this country and being dedicated to its overthrow or death of its citizens? What if the Conservatives did this in reverse. wouldn't you be calling for elimination of those scholarships?

2. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

As is a known fact, universities in this country are run by Liberals. Young Conservatives are frowned upon by the staff at just about any given college in America.

To <b>not</b> honor these men would be bigotry. :rolleyes:

For Conservatives to do the same in reverse would be racism and hatred. :rolleyes:

Once again, hypocrisy at it's best. But the country's starting to wake up and see that hypocrisy and the Liberal lies for what they really are, and they are slowly on their way out the door. :_

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

<small>As said by Haywire,</small>
    "As is a known fact, universities in this country are run by Liberals."

No, this is what's called conservative rhetoric, known facts are an entirely different thing.

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Spoken like a true lieberal. :rolleyes:

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Hey Guys! What about the Issue, now that we have established who the liberal is and who is the conservative?

6. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Jamming,

While these people could be considered enemies of the country, it is also "big" of us to realize these people did attain a recognizable stature deserving of a certain amount of respect.

None were a Hitler, Pol Pot or any other vile example of a human being. I cannot see where an American who chooses to become an ex-patriot should be considered a traitor, unless the fought against the United States or sold secrets.

I personally would draw the line at allowing the KKK scholarship fund or perhaps the Timothy McVeigh Patriot's fund but that's me. By law, anyone can create a trust with any name if they choose. Again, free speech is a bitch but at least it's our bitch!

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Meaning Alger Hiss, would be wouldn't he, he was an American Citizen and Soviet Spy.

8. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I guess we would both have to wonder at the limits to free speech. I would find that "over the line" by my definition. If we were Supreme Court Justices, we would have to interpret the situation under a different set of standards.

As much as there are things I detest about free speech, I am unwilling to tamper with the idea.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Do you think that there is a double standard on this, one for Conservatives and one for Liberals? Or does society, the press, the universities give equal treatment on this?

10. -Ken

-Ken Guest

I believe both groups are constantly trying to push the limits to grab attention and force us to look at their opinion.

Some of these extremes get to me but I am willing to tolerate them rather risk curtailing my own rights.

11. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Of course there is a double standard. The only ones who wouldn't see/admit this are either blind or Liberal.

<li> <u>Society</u> is slowly coming around and seeing this
    <li> <u>Universities</u> need a lot of work
    <li> The <u>press</u> is littered with Liberal lies and hypocrisy, but people can usually see through that.

And <b><i>Fox</b></i> rocks! :thumbsup:

12. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Well, there you go then.

How about some links to backup these sweeping statements, if it is not too much trouble.

You can have a pass on the Fox thing since it is your opinion, right?

13. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Ken you should read the New York Times #1 bestseller " Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg.

Goldberg who is a liberal Democrat was until recently a CBS news correspondent for nearly 30 years. In his short but very detailed and well-written book he gives specific factual detail after detail of the bias and reactions of the mainstream media regarding their liberal bias.

The last part is very interesting. At the peak of his book's popularity, about six months to a year ago, not one single broadcast network carried a story or review of the book.

Andy Rooney, hardly a raving conservative, appeared on Larry King Live and said that basically what Goldberg said was true and echoed his sentiments about the transparent Dan Rather.

14. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Three words, Ken.

D-E-V-I-L-S
    A-D-V-O-C-A-T-E
    G-O-O-G-L-E

You're a big boy, As if you really need to look it up. ;)

15. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Thanks for the compliment.
    Now back up what you said or
    I will go on believing you live in
    a world of your own creation.

As others have told you (and you have ignored)
    because you say it does not make it true.

Try repeating that a few thousand times, maybe it will sink in.
    <i><u>By the way, just because I say it doesn't make it any more valid.

16. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have no problem with these scholarships. I feel that as long as we are getting kids educated it doesn't matter who the scholarship honors.

And on this issue <b>I</b> am the <b>conservative</b> here. If the conservative view is that of less government interference, then by saying that you want these scholarships to be removed you are taking the liberal view of wanting more government to control such things.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

I am not against the Scholarships, I am wondering why they are considered OK by the Academic Community and say a Scholarship to Jesse Helms would be fought against at their university.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Now Jim, you are just being reasonable and setting your standards to high regarding the quality of people who run and dominate Universities. They are not liberals. They are a different breed all together and unique on to themselves.

You should not take anything they say as personal. After all, when a dog pisses on a fire hydrant, he isn't committing vandalism, he is just being a dog.