1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I believe in God

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Or god (little g), or gods (plural), take your pick, it's all good to me.

Why do I believe in God?

I'm a coward.

I've contemplated a universe without God. I've considered my own mortality. I've thought of the mortality of those I love. I've given quite a bit of thought to the question Ethics posed on "meaning".

I've sat up through the night, sober, on many occasions wondering what happens after we die. I've taken long walks in forests, listening to the quiet, cautious stirrings of small lives around me; sat on hilltops on sunny days, watching the birds of prey or nothing at all, until the sun sank into oblivion; drank in the long, slow passing of the seasons, always delighted at the rebirth of live from seed, root, and womb, wondering if "this" is all there is.

The thought that "this" is it, that when our body dies, our existence ends, quite literally scares me witless.

At the most basic level, I'm a coward. I cannot bear to think that my existence ceases simultaneously with my brain activity. It is not enough that I live on in the memories of my children, in the values I have taught to them. There must be more.

What form "more" will take, I cannot say. Many religions have much to say on that matter. The single thing they all share in common is the appeasement of mortal concerns.

All I do know for sure, for me, is that God exists. There is a Purpose to the Universe and I have some small role in achieving that Purpose. And, most importantly, that role will continue long after my body ceases to continue.

I believe in God because I am a coward. And that is sufficient to the Purpose.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Nah, a coward never admits he is a coward.

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Ethics,

I agree. It is the most brave who are able to look at their fears and face them.

Is there a God/god/gods, I don't know for certain but it would take an incredible leap of faith to not believe there is more to our reality than meets the eye.

While I realize we all shape out own perception of reality, I have witnessed too many instances of the universe teaching me lessons to ignore.

Want proof? Go do something bad. Want more proof, go perform an act of kindness.

Anytime you are in doubt, perform a totally unnecessary act of charity. The rewards are both immediate and immense if we choose to recognize them.

It there a god orchestrating this?
    Call it what you will, I have little use for semantics.

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I sit here a healthy individual and say I don't believe in an afterlife. I lie on my death bed conscious of what is approaching and then I turn into a coward Steven. How many death bed conversions must there be?
    I don't know what I'd do in a similar situation. I wrote a will before I had heart surgery a few years ago but that was only a 1 in 1000 chance of not making it through so the surgeon told me. Hardly scary stuff but the thought of death and an afterlife or not never entered my head at the time. Facing the inevitable would be different. As Ben Johnson said "To be facing the gallows in the morning must concentrate the mind wonderfully well the night before", or words to that effect.

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ditch, We've talked a bit before and I've expressed my views in another thread on Faith.

As far as an afterlife, the way I see it, there either is one or there isn't. Simple.

So what matters is how we live our life in the here and now. Not in preparation for something that might be. Take the time to smell the roses. Hear the laughter of a child. Tell someone you care about how much they mean to you.

Try to leave the world a little better for you having passed this way.

If you do that, then if there is an afterlife, you're golden. What God or Supreme Being or whatever would not be happy to have you?

If in fact, it's only lights out time, you will have left a legacy for others to live up to and pass on.

That my Aussie friend is what I call, Faith.

Mike

For the record, I do believe in an afterlife as the alternative is rather boring to me. After my medical problems, I like to think I have a bit of a payoff coming ;) Seriously, if there is an afterlife, I believe it will be a blend of Eastern and Western philosophy and maybe a touch of science fantasy thrown in for good measure. In short, unlike anything so far described.

6. IamZed

IamZed ...

When it ends I want it to end. An afterlife could only be hell. What I would do with immortality on my hands is a horrible thing to even contemplate. I can understand a death bed cry for one more round, which is only natural and is fear based. But I have given a lot of thought to what existence external would consist of and it is a horror story.
    I am an agnostic. I am not an atheist. To be so is to hold the belief that there is no God. To me that would require some evidence. Prove it. You can not.
    I dont slight religious beliefs. I have seen lives enriched to no end thru faith and would consider myself a cad to show disrespect for that which I know has saved the life of some of my loved ones.
    But contemplate your role in eternity. Your intrinsic value in the scope of things.
    If I died and woke up somewhere else I would commit suicide. The roller coster is a fun ride but who wants to be strapped in forever?

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Many years ago, I watched the most wonderful movie, "Defending Your Life". It's really a fun, moving, different take on what the afterlife could be and why we are here.

I highly recommend it; it's funny, it's touching, and it even gets you thinking a little bit. I think, Zed, you would like the premise of the film very much.

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

There are no more reasons to believe in god than there are reasons to disbelieve - this argument can only perfectly balance the scales of inquest.

God is a concept, a thought, an impression born of the memories of what others have said and what our hearts say to us in silence.

I do not believe in god, I believe I am god, as is every one of us.

God is not a single thing, it is a wonderful word to describe everything.

Other descriptions of things omit so much of what we experience for which we have no words.

The word god works very well.

;)

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In human form, mind, and spirit, yes. But I doubt we go there as such.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Mike, If one is to live their life without being a follow of a conventional religion, then what you say is very close to the acceptable alternative for me. To live your life in a way that in all honesty doesn't make you ashamed of what you do to the best of your ability.

11. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

I believe in a "power" although I don't believe in organized religion. I believe in an after life, although I haven't a clue what it is or what form it takes.