1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren't we going after North Korea

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Okay we got Iraq who we think might have weapons of mass destruction and possibly be in breach of whatever agreement they signed, and we're already shipping tanks and stuff out to the Middle East. North Korea has blatently broken their agreement, took out monitoring cameras in their facilities. We know they have broken their agreement, yet are doing nothing. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy here?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

We are not doing nothing. We are attempting to deal with it diplomatically. However, there are many differences between this situation and Iraq. To begin with Iraq was and is breaking a treaty signed at the end of the Gulf War.

3. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

They have manufactured these weapons. They do posess these weapons. And they have not "<i>supposedly</i>" broken anything. They have, in fact, broken many different treaties and done it several dozen times. Their time is up.
    We will deal with them diplomatically and let them play basically the same bullshit games that Saddam has, and then we will deal with them as well. It's inevitable.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Techie, before I dive into this and essentially leave you beaten and battered, beyond what you've stated here, what else do you know about the Korean peninsula?

SM

5. jamming

jamming Banned

I don't think he knows we are technically still at a state of war with North Korea. So they could lob a Nuke at Pearl Harbor without prior notification.

6. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Techie (and all),

Fresh off the presses (wow, I guess that term is getting pretty obsolete). The UN is getting into the picture, which may or may not really change anything.

The point is, if Korea is looking for attention, they'll get it.

Hey Steve,

I was hoping we could all avoid the beaten and battered feeling this holiday season. I would appreciate hearing your opinion of the situation. I think you've spent more time in the neighborhood than any of the rest us.

7. Sierra Mike

I'm working on a long and detailed post on it that I'll supply for your purview in a while.

And Ken, I was being only boisterous; I wouldn't even disconnect Techie's NIC, much less roll in on him. No need to whip out PC conventions here.

SM

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

They *could* do that. Then go outside and as I believe it was Steve who said, watch the twinkling lights in the sky that indicated the incoming American response. Shortly thereafter there would be a large, smoking crater on the face of the planet.

The Great Leader is not that stupid.

The world is not that simple.

N. Korea wants money and is using blackmail to get it. They are playing a very dangerous game of brinkmanship. The consequences of a misstep are very grave.

If China decides to 'teach N. Korea a lesson' , we might get drawn into something that could result in an exchange of real nuclear weapons.

Iraq is a similar yet at the same time different scenario. They do not have capable missile systems. The SCUDS are not a threat to the US.

N. Korea can hit Alaska and Hawaii. You cannot lump the two in the same basket.

9. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Hey, Ken, next you'll be saying you remember what a linotype machine was used for ;)

http://www.woodsidepress.com/LINOTYPE.HTML

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

North Korea missile weapons.

Code:
    Country / System
    Type
    Producer Country
    Max. Range (km)
    Payload (kg) or N. Configuration
    Status

KOREA, NORTH

Scud Mod B
    SRBM,
    Egypt, Syria, Iran
    In Service

Scud C (Hwasong 6)
    SRBM
    Iran, Libya, Syria
    In Service

Nodong 1
    SRBM
    Iran, Pakistan
    In Service

Nodong 2
    MRBM
    nk
    Development

Nodong 3
    ICBM
    nk

Taepodong 1
    MRBM
    nk
    Tested

Taepodong 2
    IRBM
    nk
    4-6,000
    Development

Silkworm
    AS
    North Korea
    160+
    Development

11. Sierra Mike

Redirect...

Since it's more an op-ed than part of this thread:

DPRK Jag

SM

12. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Besides, we already have quite the number of troops stationed in the region. There isn't much of a buildup needed if North Korea doesn't blink.

13. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Because North Korea didn't try to kill G.W.'s daddy? And because North Korea has the largest military force in the world?

14. Biker

Re: Re: Why aren't we going after North Korea

Thought that was China. ;)

15. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Re: Redirect...

You might want to have look at the writeup Steve did.

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Frank, GW's father was a president of the United States. His assasination was not aimed at his son, it was aimed at this country. It is enough reason by itself, but we have discussed many more in the past months.

17. Biker

LOL! I just ran across this on CNN. Kinda puts things in perspective.

[​IMG]

18. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Re: Re: Re: Why aren't we going after North Korea

True, China has the largest number of people who would be available to fight a war if they were called upon by their government to serve, and were inclined to do so.

North Korea on the other hand has the largest number who are on active duty, trained, ready, hate Americans, and are (presumably) willing to fight a war against us.

North Korea's Navy and Air Force sucks and would never be able to launch any real attack on American soil. But if we were to invade their soil, I think they would prove to be a very formidible enemy.

19. Biker

Of that I have no doubt. I've spent some time in that area and the people are fiercely loyal to not only their country, but their ideals as well.

20. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

as much as loyalty and passion is significant in an army, what is the level of North Korea's military technology? How well trained are its people? Remember that when we fought Iraq I believe they had the fourth largest army in the world, and that was decimated rather quickly. (not sure where I heard the 4th largest, I should probably research that). While military matters is not my expertise, it would seem to me as though the size of an army only matters when it comes to the amount of equipment they have. I am under the impression that without a very formidable airforce and navy, the a war against an opponent with a huge army could be won almost without a soldier stepping foot on the soil. (obviously that is an exxageration.) I could be wrong of course, would someone more versed in military matters enlighten me? (SM, Jamming, etc.)