1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are people violent on gays?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Because they're different. Same reason there is violence against anyone who isn't "like you". Doesn't matter if they're gay, black, latino, etc.

Allene and ethics like this.
  3. ethics

Ok. Why? It can't be ignorance because people have exposure to people who are different than they are.

4. Biker

Ignorance coupled with fear of the unknown. So instead of trying to understand, they lash out. They don't want to change, nor do they want anything to upset their narrow view of how the world is (or should be).

Allene likes this.
  5. ethics

But Tom! Social media has opened up so much, why are MANY people in the dark ages? Like this isn't a few, it's a LOT of people.

Also, I mean world wide.

6. Biker

I would say social media (and the internet in general) is a prime cause of it. People are bombarded daily with new things and it scares the living bejeesus out of 'em because they don't like change.

Allene likes this.
  7. Arc

Arc Full Member

In years past when I was more socially involved it was always my subjective opinion that the hate was dramatically proportionately higher with men than women. That premise would make me ask myself why it was. I never came up with an answer. (And I'm talking about the feelings of mainstream people, not sickos that perpetuate or promote actual violence against gays.)

Allene likes this.
  8. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I don't know anybody who is violent towards gays or for that matter against any group. I cannot say I have never known such people having served for many years in the military and lived for many years in the south. In the era I grew up in and entered the military calling another man gay meant you were really close enough to that man to joke that way or you wanted to fight. When the questions came up about gays joining the military I was in the minority. I said the biggest problem was not the gays, it was the straights. It was the same when women began to join. The problem was not with the women, it was with the men.

I think the violent behavior is less from the common man as men who feel threatened by people who do not believe their way, who do not behave their way. Unfortunately I don't have a degree in psychology so I cannot speak to why some feel threatened. I don't get the need to make others believe my way with regard to religion, race, or sexual orientation. I admit I just don't get why live and let live is anathema to so many who speak of freedom and loving all people.

Allene and cmhbob like this.
  9. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I've got a lot of church friends and a lot of Christian friends (and there's a difference). One of my church friends is just completely absolutely disgusted by the idea of gay people. Thinks they should have no rights at all, and we should be able to do anything we want to them since this is a Christian country (it's not, I know that, but he refuses to believe it), and being gay is a sin (being gay is not a sin, no matter how you read the Bible). Interestingly, many of my Christian friends are now considered "Progressive" as a pejorative. They forget that Jesus was quite the progressive for His time.

Allene and ethics like this.
  10. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I know this distinction all too well. I believe that Jesus Himself could not get into most of the churches in the US today.

Ask your church friend, "Where does the Bible preach against gays?" if he says Leviticus, tell him that Jesus invalidated all of the rules, laws and requirements of the OT by His sacrifice on the cross. If he insists, you can say something on the order of, "So the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross wasn't good enough for you?" Ask him if he knows Matthew 22:37-40.

If he says anything about the NT, ask him where Jesus said it. Paul had several things to say, Jesus didn't. Also ask him, "Who did Jesus hang out with?" Was it the rich and powerful, or the pariahs and cast-offs of society?

The Bible is set up and parsed as a reference manual, not a collection of historical events and parables (that's why the Bible has two columns on a page. Look it up). The Bible is a classic piece of literature. However, as Mark Twain said, "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody has read."

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have noticed that too. I think, especially if they are related to them, that men start thinking what if I'm going to get like this too.

12. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I am not a psychologist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. These are my thoughts. Any intersection or congruence with reality is merely coincidental.

I am sure most men would not like to be penetrated anally. It is not generally seen as a "fun" or "pleasurable" thing to do. At least until they get their prostrate milked, and even then, the great taboo remains. I am pretty sure most men would not willingly perform oral sex on another man.

Then, you have the "fantasy" type thought/fear that if it were to happen, they might find it pleasurable. Again, the social taboo on this feeds both sides of the argument. This is probably most of the fear and hate about homosexuality comes from.

In the military, especially on-board ship, you live and work in close quarters. In Basic Training, you routinely shower 12 at a time. To avoid getting a hard time, you have to get over any modesty about your unclothed body. Full nudity in berthing spaces are an every day occurrence. Any sexual shenanigans are usually quickly discovered and severely punished because it goes against "good order and discipline." If you are in battle and someone you are intimate with is also there and is wounded/killed, your emotions over that would likely interfere with your ability to stay at your post and carry out your mission.

Ancient Greeks had no taboos on the subject; quite the opposite. They would go into battle standing next to their lover(s), because that would inspire them to not act dishonorably in battle and shame themselves in their eyes of their lover(s).