1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who smokes Cigars?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep, I'm stoked to not have to worry about getting them on the sly and getting true Cohibas and Ciabos now, not the Dominican crap knockoffs.

My very first Cuban (a Ciabo) was given to me by a member of FDNY that perished in the Towers during a building collapse training weekend about a year prior, they brought back cases of them after they came back from that aid trip they did down to the islands after a really bad hurricane in the late 90's

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

And how was it?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Cuban cigars are the bomb. Once you've had a good one, there's absolutely no comparison to cigars made elsewhere.

ethics likes this.
  5. Biker

I should add that even though I've been smoke free for nearly 2 years now, I still enjoy a good cigar. And yes, I can get 'em in Canada. :D

6. ethics

I don't smoke but in a rare occasion, after a good dinner, and if the host/guest wants to, we light one up.

7. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Special occasions for me, too -- wedding receptions, etc.

ethics likes this.
  8. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Like a great cup of coffee.

ethics likes this.
  9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Most of the big cigar makers long ago set up shop outside of Cuba due to the embargo. Many of them went to Honduras, or other surrounding countries.

IMHO, "Cuban" cigars are now over rated due to being "Cuban". Obviously, YMMV.

ethics likes this.
  10. ethics

I was thinking what a let down it will be for many. Expectations are pretty up there.

11. Biker

There are still good Cuban's to be had. Most other countries didn't follow in the US's footsteps with the embargo. Mexico and Canada both have been good sources to get a good cigar. :)

12. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Sure, but not many anymore.

13. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

From what I understand, Cuban cigars are like Kona coffee. The climate provides the right conditions and the soil (primarily ground lava rock) gives it their particular flavor. Plants have particles of their soil in them, and it is these particles that give the unique flavor to them.

I don't drink coffee or smoke, so I can't be a first hand commentator on it. Just what I've heard.

jimeez likes this.