1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which To Choose, Which To Choose??

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

PlayStation or X-Box?

SM

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Millions of people have suffered under that one question. I hope you realize what you have done. ;)

Personally, I'll take the X-box.

3. Sierra Mike

OK--I'm leaning that way myself.

Next?

SM

4. ethics

I guess what I would like to see a pro-PS2 argument, other than there are more games for it.

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

O.k. I like the PS2. The controller is easy to use, same one from the PS1. A wide selection of games. You can watch DVDs. You can play games for the PS1 on it. It has Suikoden III.

And lets not forget, it can hunt down your enemies and slay them in their sleep. It will protect your home and family from alien invasion. Don't want to pay your taxes? Thats ok, the PS2 will pay them for you. It can cook meals like a pro and lets not even get into the house work that it can do. It will eat all of it's vegetables and do all it's home work. Walk the dog? No problem. Phone solicitors bugging you? Don't worry, PS2 will summon a band of brave adventurers from kingdoms afar to hunt down this menace and return with riches aplenty. Um.....well, not really but I still choose the PS2 over the X-box, for now.

6. Sierra Mike

LOL....you can play DVDs on X-Box, too.

What's the cost spread?

SM

7. ethics

Good points, Frodo.

The controller IS a pain on the X-Box, but once get used to, it's not too bad. DVD's are doable on the X-Box and I see your Suikoden and raise you X-treme Volleyball. ;)

8. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

I shop at EB. Here is a couple of links:

PS2

Xbox

:)

9. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I play some games on my PC with I guess the most recent being NHL 2002 and Microsoft WII Pacific Theater Combat Simulator. (Dogfighting in WWII combat fighters is totally different both in peformance and tactics than jets--and that is a fact!)

But putting it mildly I am a gamer moron.

What are the main and specific advantages of a gamebox over a high performance computer for playing games?

10. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Ahh, I see your X-treme Volleyball and throw in The Getaway :cool:

11. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Surprisingly, not much. Mostly the cost. I prefer consoles such as the PS2 for Racing and Adventure games, but a PC for Real Time Strategy and First Person Shooters.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

The thing I hate about the PS2 is the fact it's Sony... If you have a PS2 yet haven't gotten the network adapter, I warn you now - it's a bitch to find.

We have a friend who owns a ps2, and he's been wanting the network adapter (its for the ps2 to go online) since it came out early November - but because of demand, he was unable to get one. He tried putting himself on waiting lists for stores to call him whenever they received stock, but was told he had to wait until everyone on current waiting lists received one... You had to wait to get on a waiting list!!

The reason I hate the fact it's Sony is because Sony does a real dirty thing - they create a false demand by sending out TEENY TINY amounts of adapters for each shipment to their vendors, and they don't sell the danmed thing online (at least last time I checked, which was like 5 days ago). No lie - gaming stores don't get more than 3 per shipment. C'mon - 3??!?

I finally tracked one down - I signed up for email notification through Circuit City (one of the few online places that actually offered to notify through email whenever they could ship - Best Buy's and Compusa wouldn't do it), and received notice at 11:30pm this past Friday that they were back in stock - I placed my order at 11:45pm. We should be receiving it this Tuesday (already got the UPS tracking number).

BUYER BEWARE - because Sony is doing this false demand crap, a lot of vendors are increasing the price of the adapter. It's supposed to sell for 39.99 (I paid 43 bucks through Circuit City, taxed and delivered). Gamestop.com had it listed last weekend at 49.99 - on Friday they raised the price to 59.99 !!!!!! Here is the link proof: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801403

Our friend is going to DIE when we give him this for Christmas. I'm such a good friend :)

13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I have both, and prefer the PS2. The reason is the crappy controllers with the Xbox, they're always freaking out and making me do something I didn't want to do, and the better game selection. Remember that Grand Theft Auto - Vice City is PS2 only.

14. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Unfortunately I am going to wait until VC is released on the PC before I play it again.

15. Sierra Mike

Thanks, folks!

SM