1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Cert?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

My choices...

W2K MCSE (have all the study guides anyway)

MCNE (never really thought about it, though at one time I did have a CNA for NW4; however, it seems Netware is making a comeback with v6)

CISSP (actually not a "technical" cert; more of a management cert for infosec. Tempting, but am I EVER gonna get a tech management job again?)

UNIX (I'm pretty much a Unix virgin, other than knowing enough about Linux to install it to run Enterasys Draon IDS)

Chances are good if I make my choice on my own, I'll choose the wrong one; so what do you guys think? :)

SM

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Well I would like to know what your other Certs are before I decide anything.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Jim already asked my question... ;)

4. Sierra Mike

CCNA, CCNP, CCA.

SM

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well if you don't care about an A+, then I would MCSE. However I would start getting acquianted with UNIX (Linux) more and start learning stuff, because I hear RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) is a good cert.

http://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/courses/

6. jamming

jamming Banned

I think that you probably should go with Win2K MCSE as it is presently a more marketable skill which I believe is more important to your financial well being at the moment.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I guess I am in the minority when I say UNIX?

8. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

most importantly, what do you want to do? If this is something you hope to use to get a better job forget about MCSE. The market is flooded with them. I would work on Unix and CISSP. Honestly though, if you are a CCNP (I am finishing up ccna and planning on starting ccnp soon) why not work towards your CCIE? From what I hear it is an impossibly difficult cert, but once you have it you are pretty much set.

9. Techie2000

Nah ethics, I'd say UNIX too, I just meant that since he had everything for MCSE and hasn't really played with UNIX, he would be better off waiting so that he could get some more hands on experience with it before actually having to study for the exam. I find I remember stuff better when I don't have to remember it for an exam...

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Ravenink has a point Steve, sometimes it is better to have the higher certification.

11. Sierra Mike

I know CCIEs who are out of work and who are fighting for 40k jobs. Thing is, I'm a CCNP with BGP, security, and extensive WAN experience...I'm not seeing a lot of value in dropping another 10k to take the labs for CCIE cert. Plus the routing exam for the CCNP was so complex, I blew it twice. Using that as a benchmark, it would take me maybe 4 months of real hard study to ramp up for the CCIE.

On the flip side, I see LOTS of demand for MCSE and MCNE, in the 50k-80k range. Also a lot of calls for SECRET clearance too. ;)

CISSP is coming into vogue at the moment. Thing is, in 2003, you'll need to have another CISSP "recommend" you to take the test. I guess it's kind of like using a matchmaker to find your wife in the 19th Century. I see some CISSP gigs out there, some with some really fat salary tags attached to them--120k and up. I'm tempted to move that way just for that.

I know almost nothing about UNIX, other than SLIP, which is not saying a hell of a lot.

My gut tells me short term, the MCSE is the way to go; if not that, then the CISSP, and real soon, too. I just got the study guides from my ex-boss (he was let go by Manulife the same time I was) who's not nearly as smart as I am, but he did manage to pass the exams. (But of course, he was pulling down around 240k, so a job that pays 120-150k isn't worth his time. I guess he has a lot of money saved up, and if not, he can always sell one of his two S-class Mercedes.)

I'm tilting toward the CISSP, because I have the corporate management experience, though I do lack a degree in computer science. And after perusing the training materials, it's all pretty simplistic stuff; design and criteria, not actual implementation.

It's a tough row to hoe, that's for sure. In the time it would take me to nail down the CCIE, I could have the CISSP, MCSE, and at least some Unix certs.

SM

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Why not check into look at a degree program, there are a lot of things to be said for that.

13. Techie2000

Steve just wants to play with the new CIA rifles...;)

14. Sierra Mike

LOL...

Degree program, eh? Hmm...

SM

15. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

if you don't mind me asking, where are you finding good paying jobs for MCSE's? Around here MCSE's have to fight for $12 an hour jobs with no benefits.

16. Sierra Mike

NYC/LA corridors. I see the ads all the time (and have applied for some); I'll do some diggin' and post some examples, if you want.

SM

17. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I believe ya, I just need to move out of the damn south :)

18. Sierra Mike

Rave,

Here's an example I found in today's email from Dice.com...

It's unfortunate, but I have almost no Exchange experience...I went the Lotus route, myself. :)

SM