1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the protests, you ask?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Dec 7, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Today roughly 2,000 Iranian students protested a death sentence against a prominent university professor for insulting Islam.

While 2,000 people protesting in the US probably wouldn't make it to the evening news, it should help to make us realize that in spite of oppression and possible retribution, these people came out to speak their mind.

There are people in the Middle East who want the madness to stop. Imagine! You can read more, here.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am kinda disappointed at this.

While I am happy that at least a few thousand showed up, I was hoping for a full explosion.

I watch Iranian news with abating breath that THIS event will probably make them boil over.

I pray, in my own way, that it will happen soon.

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I've stated this before, in another forum a year or so ago, but Iran is in the middle of a full scale democratic revolutionary movement.

I thought President Bush's statement of Iran being in the axis of evil wasn't very timely. Granted that the government supports terrorism, but to state that really just served to galvanize the Iranian public against the U.S., a public which was beginning to embrace western ideals, music, entertainment - a surefire way to remove the "evil" clerical regimes and endear the people to the west.