1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When your number is up...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

A few days ago in the northern territory of Australia, a German female tourist was taken by a 4 metre crocodile. Her body was recovered the following day and was being "guarded" by the offending croc who was harpooned to enable recovery of her body. The victim was swimming in a waterhole with a number of other tourists at approximately midnight. Its hot up there. There were graphical signs around the waterhole warning of the dangers of crocs. They were all with a tour group, the organiser of which looks like being held responsible to some extent for the death as they failed to advise of the dangers sufficiently, as if any more advise was needed.
    There will be a story in tomorrow's Sun Herald, claiming the victim of the croc attack left the Sari Club in Bali about 30 minutes before the bomb went off and consequently was able to continue her holiday on to Australia. When your number is up there's no place to hide. Not even in a waterhole.

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

What a horrible, horrible way to go. I would rather have been in the bomb blast in Bali than be ripped apart by a croc!

By the way, does anyone remember a recent story of a woman somewhere in Asia, I believe, who committed suicide by jumping into an area with crocs at a zoo? Witnesses supposedly watched as several crocs(or alligators??) ate the woman, and she supposedly did not utter a word or a scream. Strange.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Re: Re: When your number is up...

I saw a small footage. She basically grabbed one of them and the thing looked like it was shocked and then snaked and attacked. And they say women do not usually find gory ways to go about suicide. ;)

Ditch, I kept on seeing this right after 9.11.01 also. People who barely escaped one of the two towers were either murdered, killed accidently, or committed suicide. Not all or even most, of course, but it left a pit in my stomach.

Returns me to my fate thread which Stevent loves so much. ;)

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I feel sorry for the crocodile.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"Ditch, I kept on seeing this right after 9.11.01 also. People who barely escaped one of the two towers were either murdered, killed accidently, or committed suicide. Not all or even most, of course, but it left a pit in my stomach."

Yes, its unnerving when you here of instances where the Reaper doesn't give up on you.

"I feel sorry for the crocodile."

So do I. And the tourist.

6. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Well, as cold hearted as it might <b>sound</b>...

"<b><i>There were graphical signs around the waterhole warning of the dangers of crocs.</i></b>"

She was invading on a wild animal's terroritory. If I see a sign that says...

<b>DANGER!!! WATER INHABITED BY CROCODILES!!</b>

..... I'm not going to swim in it.

The woman died of stupidity. The crocodile died for being a crocodile. :idea:

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"The woman died of stupidity. The crocodile died for being a crocodile."

She was a total numb skull. So were all the others who were swimming with her. The croc was doing what comes naturally. Being a numb skull does not prevent me feeling pity for her given the way she went. The croc didn't have to die.