1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you sit on a Bike, it's a Huge Risk

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And while most of us accept that risk, many of us, unfortunately... well, read from the top to the bottom.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

How sad! It brings back memories of Coot, although this was a young man. People are just too alone sometimes, even when they are in a crowd. From my perspective, Clayton's life was still worth living, but the pressures and challenges just got to be too much for him. Suicide is a very lonely act. That is always what bothers me so much when I hear about a suicide--the terrible aloneness of that moment.
  3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I have always wondered what is the psychological difference between a person like Clayton and someone say such as Stephen Hawking.

Both have terrible medical problems yet one goes on to live to the fullest extent possible and the other gives in to the darkest despair.

Is it a difference of emotional makeup, something else, or that and some other factor(s)?
  4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

That's a bad one. Poor guy.

I think Hawking and Clayton have had very different falls from their physical peaks. Hawking's was a gradual one and Clayton's sudden and extreme. It took Hawking years and Clayton a couple of days, if it's possible to summarise like that. Very different aspirations drove these two also. Clayton's buzz was a physical one and Hawking's intellectual. Different emotional makeup too I'm sure, as you say Mike.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's a hard one to figure out. Look at what happened to Christopher Reeve--sudden and extreme--but his behavior afterward was inspirational. He was older than Clayton, from what I can see in the photo, so that would have helped, or would it? It didn't help Coot.
  6. ethics

What's interesting here is that the parents asked folks to donate to Reeves foundation.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow! I didn't know that. He was very good at making lemonade out of lemons and helping others while he was at it. He had a very good wife standing by him the whole time, so I guess we have to look at things like that too.
  8. ethics

Let me find the entire post, hang on...

Here we go: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6403399&postcount=220 I've highlighted the pertinant parts:

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Leon, for the rest of the information.
  10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

His final online blog, a suicide note. This is just the end paragraph, the entire entry is quite long and goes into his reasons why......

11. ethics

Jeez... definitely sounds like he took a lot of drugs before he put the knife in.
  12. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

No drugs needed. As a paraplegic, it's possible he didn't feel any pain at all. 
  13. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's true. I believe he said he was paralyzed from the chest down, so there would be no feeling in his stomach. The pain he was talking about was emotional. I don't think I'll ever get this letter out of my mind!
  14. ethics

Good point. He wouldn't feel pain. Allene, that whole thing was dusturbing.
  15. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Disturbing is an understatement. Damn.
  16. Allene

Allene Registered User

To say the least! I didn't notice the link when I read that letter, so I clicked on it a little while ago but didn't last too long with it. With a mentor like Nietzsche, he didn't stand a chance!

I noticed a comment that his family had asked that his "book" be removed from the site. I feel bad for his family. When did this happen?
  17. ethics

2009 I believe
  18. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I remember the news when Christopher Reeves fell off the horse, and I think I've heard of Clayton though it might have been somebody else.
    I thought the scientists were getting close to or at a breakthrough point with the stem cell research and some electronic gadgets to provide control when the nervous system fails. It probably feels very bad to have extreme troubles due to optional behavior, though.
    I hadn't thought of being paralyzed as coming with the side benefit of not feeling pain in that part of the body.

I guess he was riding without much protection being that it was way south. I've been staying off my bike because of the heat, I don't feel like being all geared up and sweating in 90 degree weather or riding in a t-shirt, either. It's a rock and a hard place to choose from so I've been going with the AC equipped 4 seater. I'm thinking also that a stiffer, tighter fitting jacket might be better in an accident than a looser fit even if it had padding. Also there must be some racing mags or websites that have looked into it.

Regardless of the outcome, we all take chances every so often, whether it's crossing a street, taking the interstate, or just re-heating a tuna casserole, if it didn't look like a reasonable action beforehand we wouldn't attempt it.
  19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Disturbing, yes. Hard to think of a more suitable description. He was way out there to do what he did and then write about it that way.
  20. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Stem cell research would probably be further along if not for all the religious nutbars who object to it. One of the downfalls of the Bush administration, kowtowing to these asses, and refusing to allow federal money to go into it, when that combined with genetic research being quite possibly the most important, highest potential medical research of our lifetime.

Bionics is a fad. The electronics may play out someday, but there are far too many pitfalls, and we don't know enough about the nervous system yet to bridge all that data.