1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Politics Interfere...

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Sierra Mike, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...or, more likely in this instance, personal bias, is it good for the business?

Forget everything that surrounds the disappareance and repatriation of Bowe Bergdahl. If I'm a publisher--or an editor--I'm looking for something that's going to be red-hot and earn out in the first week of release. You can't tell me that what Bergdahl's platoon mates are proposing isn't just that: a timely, red-hot idea that would burn its way through the best seller lists.

But instead of cold, calculating business sense--which is what we're all told the Big 5 NYC publishers operate on--we get prevarication like this:

Really? The media (or at least Atria) will pass on millions of dollars of revenues to protect a lame duck president?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ideology, bro. I remember reading a book on Soviet spies in the US. There were two main reasons why Americans spied here on the US and gave SU the info:

1. Money
    2. Ideology

I remember the (spy himself) state that Ideology was a much better motivator.

3. Sierra Mike

One hopes the publishers--the folks who are liable to the stock holders--will toss her.

And I hope the troops will self-publish and keep 70% of the royalties to themselves. :)

Allene likes this.
  4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

They have this in the orthodox Jewish world also. A big publishing house published stuff under a different label when it doesn't want to make waves with its core customers.

5. Sierra Mike

No, it's apparently specific to this one editor, given the breadth of Simon & Shoestore's literary offerings.

History, Biography & Autobiography > Political Books on Simon & Schuster

"Atria" Book Results on Simon & Schuster

What's really hilarious is the contents of the imprints About Us page:

"...unless those new ideas might further imperil The One, in which case we will reject all submissions," the extract does not go on to say.