1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When exactly did liberals and conservatives in the USA flip sides?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by damonlab, Aug 29, 2013.

1. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

The terms conservatives and liberals have different meanings in the rest of the world. Elsewhere, liberals spend on military. Elsewhere, conservatives want their pensioners and retirees to get what they paid in for. Not the same in USA. During which USA presidential administration (or decade) did this flip around?

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

What makes you think conservatives here don't want their pensioners and retirees to get what they paid in for? That's exactly what conservatives want.

What I want to know is when liberals will actually learn what conservatives are all about? Because they misrepresent the conservative position... oh... about 100% of the time.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I thought it was a thread on former (and current) GA Liberal members who are calling for war in Syria on Facebook and when asked why the hypocrisy from what they've supported with Bush, there's silence.

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Until the beginning of Lyndon Johnson's great society and Vietnam the difference between mainstream liberals and conservatives was not that great. In fact if you were around from after WWII up until Johnson and Vietnam, mainstream liberals and conservatives were a bit of hybrids when compared to today's standard for those labels. Liberal and conservative shared a lot in common and the differences were more summarized as follows: Both liberals and conservatives agreed what the problems and reality were they simply on an issue by issue disagreed on how the problems and issues should be fixed.

Traditional mainstream liberals like Kennedy and Humphrey along with conservatives like Ike were much closer to each other than people that came after them realize. The JFK of 1960, (a universally accepted acknowledged traditional liberal) would be considered by today's standards much closer philosophically and ideologically to conservative in his thinking than folks today realize. Same with most other big name liberals.

First Vietnam and then even more Watergate and the Nixon impeachment proceedings followed by his resignations completely flipped and dramatically changed how the media reported* and a sort of extra event, (underrated by people in my opinion regarding it's long-term impact of making conservatives and liberals warring camps) the confirmation hearings of Bork.

*The media went from a much more accurate and less biased entity to eventually the junkyard attack dog propaganda machine that it has evolved to today.

ethics likes this.
  5. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Before Watergate broke, IIRC, my dad was reading a book that claimed media reports were anti-Nixon about 4 out of 5 times, vs pro-Nixon the other 20%. So what you're saying about the media isn't new. The running question and debate then would be "Is it true?"

Sent using Tapatalk 2

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

There is no question that the terms "liberal" and "conservative" have become confused in the last few decades.

I consider myself "liberal" in social situations and "conservative" in fiscal (governmental) terms.

Yeah okay I was against gay marriage but well my side lost so I accept the defeat and now I support gay marriage. There, I said it.

I've just accepted that you can't stop guys from fucking guys, and chicks from fucking chicks, any more than you cant stop people from smoking pot. (The government gave up long ago with two Constitutional amendments against and for alcohol), and the Feds have now announced that they will not enforce federal laws regarding marijuana use in states where recreational use is legalized, nor enforce against medical marijuana laws against such states that legalize that.)

So we can't stop people from fucking people of the same sex, long ago we accepted we can't stop people from drinking alcohol, and the federal government has tacitly agreed that they can't stop people from smoking pot, under state laws (state rights) to legalize medical or recreational use of marijuana.

But myself I will not smoke pot. Gave it up years ago. I think ppl who smoke it are making a big mistake, although this may be one of these things where some ppl can do it without harm, and others can't. I'm in the later group, so I gave it up.