1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's broken?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I think the old "Quick Reply" is now the "Reply," left of "Reply With Quote."

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

3. cmhbob

I'm not sure if this broke with the 4.02 update, or what, but the spacing on the Advanced Reply screen is borked now. See attachment.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

Perhaps a screen shot will help.

View attachment 5796

Funny thing is that due to a bug I can't see if the above attachment works. When I try to view it my browser window goes dark (as usual) but the image never appears.

Anyway I presume you can see it, or tell me if not.

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

Yeah, I see the same thing. I wasn't going to say anything because there are bigger fish to kill. IMO.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

/facepalm

What do you click on to actually post something?

Press F5. I suspect you have a cache issue with AJAX.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

You didn't describe a sequence of actions. I pressed F5, then I clicked "Reply" and got the post editor, then I hit F5 again (because you didn't say when) and then I wrote this reply.

Note that I hit "Reply" not "Reply With Quote" but I got the quote anyway.

BTW my AJAX works just fine with SMF forums which also use AJAX.

8. Biker

What you're experiencing is not a forum issue. There's something with your browser that isn't reading the AJAX commands properly. F5 resets AJAX.

If I click reply, I get a response box with no quote. If I click reply with quote, I get the quote. As far as I know, you are the only one experiencing this issue, which tells me it's a browser issue, not a forum issue. Log out of the forum, clear cookies and cache, then log back in.

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Attachments are borked. Not showing up.

10. cmhbob

I can see attachments in posts 122, 123, and 124 in this thread just fine.

11. ethics

12. cmhbob

No, but I never expect to see old attachments after any upgrade. They almost always get borked during an upgrade, and that one was from 2008.

13. Greg

Greg Full Member

Forums (and many websites) are complex and myriad in the ways they deal or don't deal with different browsers. I never thought everybody was having problems with the attachments, I was just saying that there is a browser problem here and that IMO some browsers don't work with the new software.

Biker I followed your instructions but they didn't help. I tried the forum using FF 3 and it did work, indicating a browser incompatibility. I'll migrate to FF 3 as soon as I can figure out how to make my bookmarks work. The FF 2 bookmarks are not working properly when I move to FF 3.

People can shrug off browser incompatibilities but that's just as bad as saying "this site requires [browser name] [browser version] to work properly." That is such a lame cop-out, an excuse when programmers cannot get their code to work right. "It's too hard!" (And no, I'm not running IE 4 or IE 5.)

It's the damned browser industry. They can't agree on specifications. The need to innovate new stuff exceeds the interesting in getting current stuff working.

14. Biker

Remember, after I did that major upgrade a year ago to fix some DB and forum issues, we lost all old attachments. So basically, everything from January 2009 forward should still be good attachment wise.

15. Biker

No sir.. As web standards change, so should the browsers. FireFox and Opera are two that pretty much adhere to industry standards when it comes to HTML/XML/CSS requirements. However, as newer standards are implemented, the older browsers (remember, FireFox 2 was released in 2006) are not able to take advantage of those newer standards. I did not know you were using FireFox 2. It's not compatible with the features of this software and the newer CSS/XML and AJAX requirements.

16. ethics

Tiny window on Post New Thread. I think the emoticons need to get squashed. Would rather have a bigger edit window and no emoticons.

http://grab.by/2vLk

17. ethics

FWIW, decided to test with Chrome. No issues at all.

18. Biker

Fixed. Need to play with the spacing a bit, but it's back to "normal".

19. ethics

Thanks a lot!

20. cmhbob

Excellent!