1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What you should feed your dogs

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Dog-food maker Jonathan Self explains how to feed dogs.

"Dogs in the wild aren’t planning five servings of vegetables per day. Dogs can go a week without eating. If you're giving your dog raw meat and bone in roughly the right proportion you can't really go wrong. And then you think, well, from time to time a wild dog might find an egg, so I'll throw in an egg. Or they might find some fish, so you could give them a tin of pilchards"
    Basically he says dogs are like wolves, feed them what you would feed a wolf...

Jonathan Self on Dog Food | Five Books | Five Books

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

There's a fallacy to this, however.

Dogs have been bred away from wolves for hundreds of years now. There are some breeds (such the Bedlington Terrier) who are prone to nutritional deficiencies. While raw diets have gained in popularity over the past decade, the jury is still out on whether it's actually better for the dog. And most vets will tell you that you still need to add vegetables (slightly cooked and ground) to round out the nutritional requirements that the dog needs.

And now we have a serious issue.

From an individual who has her Master's in animal nutrition. The Raw Debate | Modern Dog magazine

So, who to believe? My money is on the nutritional expert rather than someone who's shilling a book to make $$$.

Now, don't get me wrong, raw diets are great for dogs, but if you take what this moron is saying at face value and just feed them meat and bone, you're doing a huge disservice to your pet.

Allene and ethics like this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

My beagle has allergies. We have to give her a dry dog food that is a mixture of lamb, rice, and vegetables. Of course, when she is allowed to run loose, she supplements that with the odd rabbit or two. She'll be 11 years old in December, so she's on the senior version. She cannot be outside at the same time as the chickens because she'll go into the hen house and steal eggs!