1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Program is Needed?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by EricaZ98, Jan 24, 2003.

1. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

Ok, I have a classmate who is also majoring in graphic arts. We are stuck in core classes for 3 semesters so arent able to ask this question.

She is in graphic arts to learn how to make creations like those of Pixar Studios. With what program could she create such images?? Because I myself have no damn clue. Thnx

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I always thought that anything can be created with Photoshop?

But I am a n00b. :)

3. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

well, i just looked at Pixar's website, and it seems that they are the creators of the software they use. it is also for sale <A HREF="https://renderman.pixar.com/">here</A>. just click on "products".

i have no idea what it costs, but i'm sure you could get a nice car or maybe a house for the same amount........;)

**edit**

found the price list. the prices range from $300 to $8000.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

You can get a personal addition of Maya <a href="http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/ple/index.shtml">free</a>; it's evidently used for things similar to what pixar does.

5. EricaZ98

EricaZ98 Veteran Member

Thank you. My friend Nicole will greatly appreciate it

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Sydney,
    As I look through the Pixar site and read the product info on Renderman (their software) it appears to me to be only a render engine. As Mikeky mentioned Maya, I can't help but wonder if most of those images weren't created in Maya and then rendered using Pixar's Renderman.
    I think as a general rule that many different types of artists use a variety of creation software programs. Depending on the type of image and character/person being created dictates which software program would be used to create that section of the image.
    I know for sure that alot of the characters are made using 3DS MAX and Poser. And since the Renderman software has interface to Maya alot where probably done there too. Alot of the background touchups work is done in Photoshop, alot of the sky scenes and landscapes are done using images created in Bryce or Vue d'Esprite.

So most of the artists carry a tool box full of software. Some they prefer more than others, some they are more comfortable with than others, but none of the scenes are created totally with just one type of software.

hey...so now you can become an expert in them all.. :)