1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Pistol Caliber is Best?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Dec 5, 2002.

?

What Pistol Caliber do you think is best?

1. .25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .30-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. .357 mag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. .380 Auto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 9 mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. .40 SW

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. .41 mag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 10 mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. .44-40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. .44 mag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. .45 Auto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. .454 Casul

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  13. .50 AE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Other (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jamming

jamming Banned

What is the caliber of the Pistol Round that you think is best?

2. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

Well now it would depend on what you are going to use this gun for.

For home security I like the .40 cal, or 9mm as they both do really good.

Now if were talking a pistol cartridge for hunting then I like the .357mag, or 44mag.

If were talking a rifle cartridge in a pistol then I like the 30-30 for deer sized game, and the 22-250 for varmints.

I found an article in .pdf format on the 30-30cal in a T/C Contender with 14" barrel that you might like. I attached it.

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Gotta agree.

If im trying to very accurately put holes in paper at 50 feet, i use a 22 pistol.

At home, if somebody decides they want to harm me or my family for some very stupid reason, they have a VERY good chance of meeting a .40 delivered via a Glock 23 (custom spring and rod, tritium night sights, of course).

If I am in bear country, I carry a .50 Desert Eagle.

Different tools for different jobs - no caliber is superior on its own merit.

;)

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

There is no such thing as "best" -- which is why there are a zillion calibers. My caliber of choice is the .45 long colt. My light load is a 230 grain RN lead and the heavy load is a 250 grain JHP. I played around a little with a 405 grain FN lead rifle bullet resized to .454"

A long time ago I had a .380 Colt Pocket Auto. Cute little thing but every time I took it to the desert for practice it would throw my brass 10 feet behind me and I would lose at least 33% every trip. Too expensive! Traded it for a CB radio.

p.s. Almost forgot the pimpsqueek (so powerful it can cause a pimp to squeek!) -- a five shot SA revolver in .22 short RF. The accuracy is remarkable. At 20 feet I can hit a 50 gallon drum with one out of ten shots.

5. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

For road trips :Colt 45 Anaconda 45 long with 225 GR. hollow points

For the home : Mossberg 12 GA.pump 2-3/4-inch, 00 buck

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Yep... there is no such thing as "best pistol caliber"... although I did vote for my favorite personal and home protection caliber - the .40 SW.

I'm not sure I'd use a shotgun for just home defense, but I really like it for urbanized combat situations. There's just something about its true "point and click interface" that sits right with me.

7. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

My favorite handgun is my .357 Magnum Ruger GP100 6" SS barrel. In the home, I keep it loaded with .38 special frangible rounds in the first 3 and .357 magnum hollow points in the last 3.

8. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Well since my dad owns about every gun you could imagine, I've gotten to shoot quite a few of them. I remember the first time he took me shooting. He had about 3 guns with him. Had a 9mm automatic. Glock I think it was? A 38 for regular cheap shooting. And his prized 357 magnum which actually scared me cause it was the dirty harry gun I think? Well I didn't like the 9mm at all. It was too light and I had a hard time hitting the target and the grip just felt all wrong. When you did hit it, the holes were too small and you didn't even know you hit it. The 38 he had was comfortable in grip, but it felt like nothing and I didn't like that feeling. Also the same deal...the holes were too small plus the site (thing you aim with?) was useless to me on that small a gun. Then we got to the 357. I was so scared of that thing. It was huge and heavy. I had to do it though. And in front of my dad and my brother and his friends...I couldn't chicken out. My dad handed me the big gun and it felt good. It's grip was perfect. It was impossible to get going fast cause I was a bit small and it was harder to cock. I cocked it, looked down the site which was nice, braced myself and the weight was perfect. I cringed a little and got ready to feel it kick and let it loose. It bucked in my hands and felt so nice. Just right. When my dad looked he couldn't believe it. He reeled in the target and I got a bullseye with it!! LOL That gun was the nicest feeling and had a really big hole when it hit something. I would say that from what I hear though, the 44 and 454 are the meanest but I've never shot one of them I don't think? Might have. Guns in my family are like silverwear. It's just there ;)

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

.45 caliber, because it's the only thing my Sig P220 fires.

SM

10. jamming

jamming Banned

OK, I agree that my question in somewhat flawed but my purpose was to provide some discussion so that others might learn. You guys have been excellent at this by disscussing the relative merits of each caliber, my hat is off too you.

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Again, for me depends on the job. I have both a .357 GP100 (loaded) and a Marlin 45-70 doing home protection duty. The carbine is unloaded but the cartridges are real handy. You never know when a buffalo is going to come charging into your home. With that combo I feel safe enough to pack up my shotguns which used to serve the same duty. My travel gun is a German made Walther .380, mostly because you can't carry in California so it's easier to pack it out of sight in the car. I do keep the mag out of it, the thought of the car catching on fire and some poor fireman getting a hole blown through him while trying to put down the flames is my motive. I backpack with a small Beretta .22 auto, due to weight.

12. mikeky

mikeky Member

Which of the smaller calibers has the most knock-out potential, 9 mm, 10 mm, .45?

13. jamming

jamming Banned

The 10mm which is why the FBI went to them, bigger wound channel than the 9mm and higher foot/pounds than the .45 even hot loaded. Good Ballistic performance, the 9mm has a longer history but sometimes leaves people standing like in the firefight in Miami the FBI was in where they lost agents (was a TV Movie).

14. mikeky

mikeky Member

I wound up with a 9mm many years ago; may revisit getting a 10mm someday.

15. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Shot placement is way more important than the caliber.

There is a huge range of circumstances in which you might find yourself in and that to a certain extent would dictate what the best caliber is at that moment.

I have 9mm Glock. It more or less just happens to be a 9mm, for me the fact that it is a Glock is more important than the caliber.

However, if I wanted a nasty caliber for protection and the size of the weapon was not an issue I like the 10 mm. (I'm strictly a semi-auto guy and hate revolvers. No knock whatsoever against those who do like them.)

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I like the 40 as the best compromise between hitting power and second shot on target. 45 is good also and I guess because of my many years wearing one, it has a great feel in my hand. The 10 and 357 sig are louder and kick more than I want if I need a second round.

17. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

From everything I've heard the .40 seems like the "best all around." So I am not surprised to hear that echoed from someone of your experience.

I am 6'5'' and 230 lbs. You say there is a difference in recoil among calibers? I hadn't noticed!

18. mike

mike mesmerized

You left out .480 and the .400 Corbon.

.40 S&W for best all around, I'd say 10MM has an edge over that. Again, this all depends on the intended use-I thought you were asking which caliber was a favorite. Expand on that please, best for what purpose?

19. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

One of the labs where I work has a 20mm cannon from an AH-1W helicopter complete with turret and electronics. Awesome kill power!!!

20. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Problem with the 10mm is that it's just too strong for an automatic. The FBI wanted everything in one load, lots of rounds in one magazine, great knockdown and penetration. They got it, but in the process, got a gun that won't hold up for any more than 2 or 3 thousand rounds before it beats itself apart. And the average sportshooter wants 10 thousand or more before wearing it out.

The civilian answer to the 10mm was the .40 SW, which is the same bullet, but a cut down cartridge and less powder. It's a little slower velocity, but not too much less. A good hot .40 load is very much a contender, and much better wound characteristics than the best 9mm, IMO. What you give up is a few rounds in the magazine, but the Glock (my pistol) still holds 15+1. Dang, that's a lot. With the ban on anything over 10 rounds, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a 9mm unless you're L.E., or unless you can't handle the heavier calibers.

The .45 is a time tested winner. The bullet is a little slower, but that giant flying ashtray is known for gigantic wound cavities and hellacious one-shot-stop characteristics. The Colt 1911 is a work of art, recoils so clean and stays on line. I love the 1911. I don't have one due to department restrictions on single action, and it's no rookie gun, you'd better be in the know, but if you own one, you're a smart gun buyer.