1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Kind of Music?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

So apparently Lady Gaga hit it out of the park at the Oscars, singing a tribute to The Sound of Music to celebrate its 50th anniversary. She's a trained musician, but with her spectacle-oriented act (at least until her duets with Tony Bennett), a lot of people were surprised that she could actually sing.

This local (Cleveland) Fox news anchor was one of those taken aback, saying that with her regular act it was difficult to gauge Gaga's singing with all of the "jigaboo" music. She has since apologized, claiming that she didn't even know the origin of the word -- even if true, a bad excuse for one in her profession. Still, a major cringe-worthy moment, particularly given the race of her on-air partner.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Haven't heard that word used in decades.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Saw "sambo" a couple of weeks ago. I suspect words that many of us know from decades ago are now making a comeback due to plain ignorance.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I guess, or as I would like to say, we should celebrate that we haven't heard this crap in decades?

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

It looks like America almost put the racial bigotry behind us until Obama took office, and him and Holder started stirring the stick. Now we got the new anti-Semiticism to contend with too, with Obama snubbing Israel.

Won't be long before the liberals are picketing my house because I own a SUV. (Shhhh!!!!! I keep it hidden in my garage!)

The new "forwards" is "backwards." Pretty soon we'll have burning crosses and maybe even witches burned on bonfires.