1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this world coming to????

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Violet1966, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Last night the hubby and I were sitting int he living room with our almost 3 year old. It was 7 pm I think and we were looking for soemthing to watch on tv before sending the little one off to bed. Daddy got home a little late and wanted to spend time with her. So he flips through the channel and there's some movie on the Disney Channel called "Rocketman". My husband checks the info on the digital cable options and it says comedy, some language, adult content. I was like WTF??? What is going on these days. It's not bad enough that Disney is trying to draw in the men with their new ad on tv. I had to laugh. Like Cinderella is in the theme park, you know the Cinderella that is like a real woman wearing the costume, there's a man standing there looking at her, she turns and like gives him a sexy look. The wife walks back with two ice creams and the man acts like nothing happened. WTF??? I am not a big disney fan but this is getting like weird. Disney in my day was different.

Is it just me? Am I seeing too much in things or being too judgemental? I'm not letting my kids watch the Disney channel anymore because of this crap. I thought it was a kid's channel and not an adult one. And I thought the Cinderella's in the theme park were supposed to be wholesome and not some brazen hussies!!! LMFAO Blows my mind. I'm boycotting Disney.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

Ive wanted to screw that little wench ever since I laid eyes on her - shes a blatant tease, always has been, always will be.

:nut:

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yeah, and have ever noticed the pronounced bosoms on the Little Mermaid? Whooboy, that is one hot-looking fishgirl!

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I couldn't agree more (with Violet, that is ;)). Actually, I cancelled our cable last August largely because of the crap that my kids could potentially watch on the Disney Channel, Nickalodian, WB, etc. While there are some good educational programs on public broadcasting system channels, it just wasn't worth having cable since the PBS channels are local and don't require cable.

Regarding Disney movies in general, though, thay are utter crap IMO. They do little more than reinforce sexist stereotypes, and seem bent on rewriting history. Pocahontas (sp?) was the movie that really disgusted me. The film is an abominable distortion of Powhatan Nation history. The Powhatan people even offered to assist Disney to ensure accurate portrayal of their culture and history, but of course they were rejected. I'm all for boycotting Disney -- I don't rent their movies and I don't buy their products. I don't want my kids influenced by such trash.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How about Lion King with Monarchy and birth rights?

6. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

So sad. The messages that our kids are getting and all the missinformation. forget about the fact that they could care less about our kids and just want to make money off of them!!!!

Another gripe I have and please don't think me a snoot or having a pole up my butt, but that herbal essences commercial has got to go. We're sitting down eathing lunch like on Saturday and the little one is sitting there. We were doing like finger foods and relaxing. Lazy Sunday in the living room. Family time. Well we are watching something at about 3 pm. Like a funny movie. Not bad...kids could watch it because daughter was there and we don't let her watch things that are too much for kids. Well that damned herbal essence ho comes on doing her moaning in the shower and her husband says I have to go through this every morning. Now wtf is with that? What am I supposed to tell my kids that that noise is she's making??? ROFLMFAO

It's funny but it's not. My husband even said it was rediculous and he even said it's bad because they put it on during primetime...not after kid's bedtimes at like 9 or 10 o'clock. Rediculous.

7. Basilio

Basilio Banned

I think sex is a way to control the masses.... As the Greek philosophers except for Epicurus said, we must get beyond our baseness.... I am not a prude, I like sexuality.... I am a man... But I also look beyond it to some extent.... It is a powerful force and used as a way to get to our wallet and sell products. As they say, "sex sells" and perphaps they are trying to reach kids at an younger age... I am not sure...

8. Coriolis

I believe you are correct, and the proof can be summed up in two words: Barbie doll.

9. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Why did Mickey Mouse divorce Minnie Mouse?

She was F*c*i*g Goofy !

Disney is about money and is attempting to reach a new market...adult men. We're easy marks as illustrated in the commercial you describe ;)

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

ROFLMAO !!

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

How do you sell a tractor? Put a gorgeous girl in a skimpy bikini on top of it! Simple. The herbal essences commercial has really got to go. That high pitch gets on my nerves. This is supposed to make me run out and buy this shampoo exactly how?

As for little ones and watching things, how many parents took them to see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'?

12. Coriolis

But you have to admit, the one where Dr Ruth appears at the end and says "Vait 'till she tries z'body vash" is too hilarious. :)