1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Superbowl (to Guardian)?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 25, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In London's <a href="http://sport.guardian.co.uk/americansports/story/0,10161,880360,00.html">left wing Guardian</a>, one Matthew Engel has a snotty preview of the Super Bowl:

Every major national sporting event is in some sense a reflection of the country's character, but there is nothing quite so in-your-face about it as the Super Bowl, the apogee of Americanism. Part of this is very obvious indeed: there is the obsession with both violence and money, and the exploitative eroticism represented by the cheerleaders.

I've heard of penis envy, but Football envy?

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Uhm.... and the problem with exploitative eroticism represented by cheerleaders is WHAT?? :happy:

Last I heard, no one was forcing the cheerleaders to perform at gunpoint... :rolleyes:

BDD... :{)

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

"Gee, that's a tough one...we don't have any British players on our team" :happy:

4. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Let's see; sex, money, and violence, huh? Yep, all of the above.
    So, what's their point?

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

You know, he always has the option of the OFF button.

Hey, if the Superbowl represents the character of our nation, that's pretty damned cool. The Superbowl rules. The cheerleaders rule. The commercials rule. The halftime show rules. And since it represents our character, <B>WE RULE</B>.

6. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

When it comes to the violence we can't hold a candle to the British football hooligans who most countries go so far as to maintain a list of, trying to make sure they don't even get in their country when a match is held there ;)

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Since Britain is one of the few countries supporting us at this moment I am willing to believe that the author of this piece is like many of our media. They find it much easier to find faults than the good in people, countries, and events. Seems to me that if we all spent just a little time looking for the positive we might realize we will live through the negative. British soccer traditions are so much deeper, so much more refined.

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The article is a good example why a lot of Europeans do not understand where Americans are at even though a good number of us can trace our heritage back to Europe. Soccer has a lot of good traditions but the fans are atrocious just like the ones here can get out of control. Fortunately, no American group of fans has been banned yet from flying to any other city. Somehow I don't ever expect to see that happening. For all our enthusiasm, we see it's still only a game. A very important game but a game nevertheless.