1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it with the advertising push lately?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Seems more "mainstream" sites are getting pushy about ad blockers.

Forbes requires you to either disable or whitelist their site in order to read their content. Wired has recently adopted the same policy.

Considering malvertising is on the rise and utilizes zero-day exploits for java and flash, it's surprising that these companies are requiring their users to disable what I consider a necessary security item in order to view their site.

Yes, I get it. You make big bucks off advertising. But forcing users to disable or whitelist adblockers is not the answer. Essentially all you've done is ensure I never go to your site again.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Getting a bit off-topic, which adblocker do you use?
  3. Biker

uBlock - Home

Make sure it's uBlock and not uBlock Origin. uBlock Origin has done the same thing that Adblock Plus is doing, and that's selling out and allowing ads from companies that have paid them to whitelist their stuff.

Adblock Sold Out...
    dsl987 and rockotman like this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

There's so much content though that Wired, Forbes, and others will just lose readers. I hope that's what happens.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Tom. Note what it says about Firefox here: GitHub - chrisaljoudi/uBlock: uBlock: a fast, lightweight, and lean blocker for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
    When I click on Download and Firefox, I get an option of going to Firefox Add-ons site or doing a manual. I clicked on Manual and I can see uBlockfirefox.xpi that I can click on, but it also has source code links. Do I need to bother with them? Also by doing the manual download instead of going to Firefox Add-ons, will that eliminate the problem they mention of Firefox not keeping it updated? Sorry for hijacking your thread. You can split me off to uBlock for Dummies if you want.

6. Biker

You can go to the Mozilla addons and install from there.

Allene likes this.
  7. Biker

In my case, that's exactly what's happening. I've even sent both an email explaining why, as well as advising them that anyone who asks me will be told not to whitelist for security reasons.

And guess what? The day Forbes implemented their new policy, guess what they were serving up via ads? Yep!

How Forbes inadvertently proved the anti-malware value of ad blockers
    ethics likes this.
  8. Andy

My AdBlockerPlus blocked 22 items on that link. :rolf-53:
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Did it this afternoon. I just clicked on the little U up at the top of the screen and it says 1,210 items blocked since installed!!!! I guess it is working!

10. Biker

Further proof that sites that force users to turn off adblocking are idiots.

Angler Takes Malvertising to New Heights

11. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Thanks, Tom. uBlock is great. I installed it last week and it seems to work better than any other blocker that I have tried. Nearly 7000 blocks in a little over a week. And since I installed in on Chrome on this laptop, it is working on my other machines when I use Chrome on them. Not sure how that works, but I noticed that it is also on the two desktops that I use occasionally.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, it's fantastic. I installed it around the same time as Rockotman. I'm pushing 11,000 blocks now.
  13. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Think I'll give uBlock a try as well
  14. Arc

Arc Full Member

I installed it. Its install procedure and interface must be the easiest and fastest in the history of computer app installation.

Now what I want to see is an app that blocks those hidden videos that start playing on sites a minute or so after you load them. You know, you load a site, glance at it, quickly move on to two or three other sites using tab browsing. Then as you are reading on the third or fourth tab something of interest some damn video on one of the previous sites open in tab format starts bombarding you with words and or music. You have no idea were the annoying sucker is so you can instantly shut it up.
    ethics likes this.
  15. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I was using Ublock origin, and it seems to work very well. But now that I'm told it sold out, I was going to switch to regular Ublock, but I can't seem to find anything on the web about Ublock Origin selling out. Is that confirmed? I would hate to lose UO, it works very well, sometimes too aggressive.
  16. Biker

I went looking for the article that I had seen and can't find it now. You're right, everything I see shows that uBlock Origin has not sold out like Adblock did.
  17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

uBlock Orig is the original and what you should be using.
    ublock was one of the founders splitting from the above and they sold out.

And by selling out, and way different than adblock, is the donations going to each firm. Basically, it's an internal fight and geeks decided to get in on it and tell people to get the orig one.

For all intents of what you will need it for, either one works and didn't sell out to the ad agencies.
  18. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Yeah, that's what I saw, and Origin has been continuously updated. The last update of regular ublock was months ago.
    Regardless, it is pretty crazy how the numbers start stacking up even from one site. Origin has a cool feature where you can see the log in real time and it's pretty amazing how many calls to external sites most websites use.
  19. Biker

Allene and ethics like this.
  20. Biker

ethics likes this.