1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it like taking a cert. exam?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I'm currently studying for A+, and I was wondering what happens when you go an actually take the exam...

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Think like PSAT's or other such examinations. Except for the Oral Portion, where they line you up in front of people, they sit and you stand, a fire rapid fire questions that you have 5 seconds to answer. Oh wait, they stopped that part ;)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Don't be cruel, Jim. :)

Techie, most of them are done via computer and based on what you get right or wrong. For instance if you get a particular question in a category right, they move you to a tougher question in the same category... if wrong, they do a weaker one. Each question is worth different points which you do not see.

Of course, it also depends who is doing the testing.

4. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

Well, for me, I went to the place, registered, took the exams by computer. some of them are adaptive, some are not. If you want really good info on the exams and what each is like I have some good sites for you at home (I'm at work now). For the A+, you'll have no problem. Test is very very elementary and any competent tech should be able to pass it.

So far I've taken A+, NET+, I-NET+ (all very easy), and all the MCSE Win2k Exams. (varied from easy to very difficult.)

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I've never taken the A+, because I've always thought it was a BS cert. But the Cisco stuff can be maddening...actually, now that I think about it, the old MCP for TCP/IP was pretty fucked up too...the 14" display wouldn't give me the proper resolution to view the graphics, so I had to guess.

I remember last year when I took the CCNA--they had just switched it to the -507 exam from the -407--some guy in the test room was swearing under his breath and generally distracting the hell out of me. That was more terrifying than the exam; I woulda told him to STFU, but he was about six foot sixty and three hundred pounds.

SM