1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by melpomene, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I finally figured out the answer to the topic question! America is nation of citizens who we call Americans that share the common values of freedom, life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. We are a diverse nation, with americans that come from many backgrounds. However we are American because we share these common values.

Misu, I do not understand this. Why would the hispanic community feel pushed aside? Hispanics are not any less American than anyone else in America.
  2. Domh

Domh Full Member

What is America?

A failed experiment in public governance. The evidence of that failure is slow to exhibit itself, but can be clearly seen over the last 100 years. Like population and technological innovation, as time progresses the indications of failure become more apparent.

Fine with me if you happen to disagree, but lets agree to revisit the question in 50 years.

America is a nice idea gone wrong.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Neighborhoods should decide what businesses will do for them before they let them in. Wow.

Who would make those decisions? What would be the standards? It sounds so righteous but how long before local businesses stack the board and allow nothing in? How is it good for the neighborhood to have some cabal decide what they are allowed to try or not? I am not going to get involved with titles but I must say that is very unAmerican and I suspect unAustralian. Let's just take away everybody's choices!