1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by melpomene, Jul 9, 2003.

1. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

"There was a time at the turn of the 18th century when over two hundred! horses were removed dead from the streets of NYC daily."

In the future they would be called 'Soylent Green'.

2. eskimo

eskimo Banned

thanks for the suggestion, i ll see if i can pick up a copy of it at my local bookstore instead of Barnes&Noble rofl
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If banks and countries were to "wipe the slate clean", what would that do to their bottom line? And what would that do to the economic health of the country?
  4. eskimo

eskimo Banned

sorry , got the spelling wrong for slate (english is not my mother tounge so bear with me if i get things wrong).

as to your question : not much.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Wanna see numbers first before saying yea or nay on this one. There's something in the back of my mind telling me this would not be good for the economy if it were done.
  6. eskimo

eskimo Banned

ok , bring on the numbers. i might go and look for them myself. so far my nay is as valid as your yea.

this is interesting :

In 1994 Africas bilateral debt to Britain was less than 5 billion. People in the UK spend about 5 billion on sweets and chocolate every year.
  7. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

One obvious concern for the poor third-world is any action that undermines credibility of repayment agreements, etc. immediately and for a long time to come reduces avaiable investment capital they desperately need.
    What is still offered comes at a much higher interest, if at all.

The result for nations that repudiate or default on their debt is much like the penury of individuals.
    Credit become almost impossible to get and what is offered is much more expensive.

Sans investment capital there wil be fewer new jobs created and more/continued poverty.

You want this?
  8. eskimo

eskimo Banned

it would be a start though to put repayments and interest payments on hold so land in third world countries could be used to grow crops that feed the countries population instead of crops for export.
    third world countries are already in a state were they are notcredit worthy. every private individual with a bad credit rating will find it hard to get another loan or credit card. same did not apply in the past to thrid world countries who were given more and more. third world countries today do not depend on loans but on foreign aid, thats how far it has come already so your argument stands no ground really.
  9. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

I should be angry.

Please cite some links and facts.

This post just previous is an opinion, nothing more.

To be precise, I have predicted the future if a certain action is taken.

You have cited supposed actual events. Facts please!
  10. eskimo

eskimo Banned

why should you be angry ?

we are just talking things over.

in any case. is your post not an opinion ? why dont you post some facts and links. the burden of proof seems to be always on me somehow.
    all i did was compare banking behaviour applied to private debtors and to countries that are indebted. in this simple comparison i think your argument does not stand ground.
    i just pointed out that there are two standards. i dont know you want me to proof that in links or facts when it is rather obvious. if you are in debts the banks would certainly not allow you to increase your debts over 10 years by 400%.

this is an interesting but long read http://www.sedos.org/english/Tarimo_1.htm
  11. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Ok, thanks for a link. Indeed, anyone and everyone may speculate on the future and, to date, has no one has been asked for supporting footnotes.

You are unique!

If you cite a past event or current condition here then expect to be asked for some evidence.

Interesting yes, but the article Cancellation of the Debt Will Not Change Anything does not support your point nor attempt to refute my speculation on the impact of debtor default.

How does this help?
  12. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

You may wish to take up the matter of debt forgiveness here:

13. eskimo

eskimo Banned

i know , thats why i posted this link. it does not support my generalisation which i made in order to keep things simple.
    even i am not that stupid to think that there is an easy solution to a big problem. third world debt relief is only one aspect in a concerted action to improve the conditions in the third world.
    a variety of means needs to be employed. debt relief can only be one of them and is not the one stop all round solution.

i did not post this link to refute your speculation , which is just that , speculation. i think i clarified already i dont think your argument stands ground.
    i merely posted the link because i think it makes for an interesting and indepth read.
  14. Neo

Neo Banned

I have the same suggestion--just a suggestion for this thread, sibling to the other "America" thread.

15. eskimo

eskimo Banned

why dont you stay out of it if you are sick of it ?
    is that your solution when you cant argue your point ?
    just stop talking about it ?
  16. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

The matter is now located here:

17. eskimo

eskimo Banned

divide and conquer ? is that what this strategy is called ? rofl
  18. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

Hardly, despite your personal attacks upon character, such actions as starting a new thread only provide organization to a wide-ranging topic that started long ago with Iraq and WMD and now regards third world debt forgiveness and speculation on how to help the third world.

This tactic is nothing more than courtesy. Look into it.
  19. eskimo

eskimo Banned

it is not my intention to make personal attacks. if you take it that way that is up to you.
  20. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

There is a bit of an accusatory tone to the idea that some trickery is employed as a strategy.

Good for you that had not been your meaning then.