1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if Your NickName was Derogartory?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Oh! I misread that to mean where's the line in trying to get your message across. No, violence is never the answer...unless you're dealing with terrorists, in which case, the more the merrier.

I return to my original point: dialog. You'll have to grow comfortable with the fact that there are and always will be stupid people in the United States. For a lot of folks, race and heritage are great stumbling blocks. A lot of people will see you as "just a Chinaman" even though you're Korean. (Or do you prefer "Corean"?) You can't change that, any more than you can change the national consciousness. If you want to lock yourself into that battle, you're gonna be a very depressed guy.

Change what you can, and leave it at that. There are some things that are far beyond our ken, and this seems to be one of them.

OK, thanks for the update. Most certainly, only a few people know about this. But still...going to the ADL or a similar organization was the mistake. Curious, isn't it? These are bodies that supposedly try to uphold and champion human rights and the like, but in reality, they have their own political agenda and never, ever, pass up an opportunity to blow their own trumpet for the media.

She should have gone back to Groh and tried again. And let him know that the next step might be the ADL. You said yourself that Groh was a nice guy...let's presume he is not just nice, but intelligent as well. Chances are good he doesn't want to have any problems with the community, and without the spotlight being on the issue, he might have been able to change the name to Groh's Steaks or something like that. We'll never know now, because that's a "what if" thing. But now he's backed into a corner, and what's worse, people are telling him he has to change it.

Since it hasn't gone to court yet and no papers have been served, we can presume this isn't something that has an easy legal recourse. In other words, there does not appear to be a law that requires the name change, any more than there is a law requiring people to do their best at handling a specific situation before blowing it up by bringing it to the ADL.

But that's in the past now, and as I said, I'm not particularly interested in discussing it further. I'll just watch, because I can offer nothing to either side. It's well beyond any powers I might have at remediation.

With some people, you're asking the impossible. There will always be people like this. I can only counsel that when you meet them, you count ha, na, der... before you kick their heads off.

Not much more to add, I'm afraid. Let us know how things work out.

SM

2. Sierra Mike

So true, and my error. Korea is not a place I travel to very often, so I don't have a real hands-on feel for the culture. My apologies.

SM

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I did not see any analysis. I saw a claim to having been insulted and a paraphrasing of my words that was not accurate. But it is apparent you will only see what you will see.

Maybe if we all dress up in clothes from our native culture you can be appeased. In the meantime I say again, I want to see people as people, not as an Asian or any other Ethnic group. Maybe if you substitute the word judge in there it will get through to you I am not saying anything against any culture. If you want to tie your undies in a wad and see that I said anything against culture be my guest.

4. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I agree.
    EVERYONE now living in this USA, legally, is an AMERICAN!
    That does not EVER mean that one must forget the land or culture from which they came, but one should indeed recognize that they now reside in a new land, with it's own culture.
    And that's the land of freedom.
    Yea, it's not perfect, but we continue to work at making it so.

And folks that keep pointing out the DIFFERENCES between the multitude of races and cultures that we're made up of, do not, in my opinion, contribute to the quest of all of us in just getting along, and spending our energies in persuing our individual quest for happiness for ourselves and our familys, in this land founded upon the idea of INDIVIDUAL freedom.

A country where one has a fairer chance than most places on this planet to better one's lot through hard work and accomplishment.

I have very good, if not 'best', friends from darned near any country or culture you can name.
    And everyone of them is a hard working fellow American, living in the United States of America.
    And we don't call each other honky/spic/chink/black/etc....we just don't have time for it.
    We call each other by our given name.

I may be wrong, but that's what I think <i>Shiny</i> was talking about.

Regards,

5. ShinyTop

Whew, I am relieved to find I was not writing in a foreign language. Yes, my post was meant to reduce the heat, not increase it.

6. Sierra Mike

How odd! Whenever I read Shiny's posts, this is all I see...

:lol:

SM

7. ShinyTop

And I expect nothing more from a heli pilot! :notworthy

8. xwhirledx

xwhirledx Veteran Member

Grrrrr... arrrrgh!

Wow, I haven't been here a few days and so much anger! :blush:

Hope everyone is well! :)

9. Sierra Mike

Wah...this is nothing. We've had bigger knockdown-dragouts that, had they occurred in real life, would've left some people dead.

And "Grrrrrr...arrrrgh?" Isn't that from the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

SM

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I'm reminded of the saying "America used to be like a melting pot, now it's like a chef's salad, and all the parts stand out from each other." It's getting truer all the time.

11. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Cheese wiz, damn it, cheese wiz. :)

Philly cheese steaks, :drool: :drool: :drool:

Philly Cheese Steak

12. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Lol, never tried it with cheeze wiz, and not sure I'm brave enough too... but dammit, it almost sounds edible! :)

13. jadjman

jadjman Registered User

She's young. She and her friends have admitted that they thought their initial moves were big mistakes. They aren't activists, they've just been thrust into this role. We've all seen situations that on the surface, look a certain way, but when you know the back-story, you realize that it's just a bunch of scared people, doing the best they can the best way they know how.

It's interesting that some people are looking at this from a legal perspective. http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/7859680.htm

Now, I do think this may be a bit of a stretch... but unfortunately, there isn't really a win-win situation available anymore.

Nick

14. xwhirledx

xwhirledx Veteran Member

Yes!! you know!! :) I love Buffy. I'm sad the series is over. Joss is a great writer who also casts some hot actors/actresses. They say Buffy's supposed to make an appearance on Angel...

Can i start a buffy thread? Pretty please? LOL...

15. xwhirledx

xwhirledx Veteran Member

I'll second and third that! Cheese wiz is the way to go. That or provolone.

Mmmmmmm.... I need to go to philly.

16. Colin

Colin life victorious

jadjman,
    First off thanks for your input on this thread. I think we have all benefited from hearing your point of view. I have especially enjoyed the recent discourse between you and Moore.

:thumbsup:

Now, let me get to an issue that you spoke on in one of your posts:

I can appreciate this. Most people who meet me for the first time (non-Asians at least) tend to think I'm Chinese (As an aside, I have a Chinese friend who has the exact opposite problem: people think he's Japanese. Go figure!!). Most people don't make the mistake out of disrespect or ill will. They just honestly can't differentiate between the various East Asian races on the basis of facial features or family names (e.g., Park vs. Ngyuen vs. Fukai). It's just not something most Americans have a lot of experience with.

So while it would probably be nice if people could tell you were of Korean ancestry from a cursory meeting with you, I just don't think it's very practical to expect such things from the balance of American society.

You then made this remark...

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what would you rather be called if they didn't know you were Korean? Would it be better if they just called you a generic "Asian-American"?

I do have to say, though, that at a certain level I can empathize with the Chinese-or-Japanese distinction. For a lot of Americans an Asian tends to be one or the other ;) If I were Korean I would probably get a little frustrated and think "Hey, come on folks. There are other countries in Asia besides those two." Still, I don't really get upset (not to suggest you do) or frustrated with people when they can't guess my ancestry. In fact, usually when I correct someone they are very engaging and want to know more about my background. I think that's a positive.

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Can you tell the difference between an Australian and a New Zealander? How about between two white Africans from different countries? Or a Xhosa from a Zulu?

18. Sierra Mike

I can...the Ozzies are usually drunk, and the Kiwis have a sheep under one arm. Very easy to detect the difference in Singapore, among other places.

SM

19. Sierra Mike

If you must.

SM

20. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Is it the Aussies have a keg of Fosters under each arm being followed by a dozen roos and the Kiwis have a keg of Steinlager under each arm followed by a dozen sheep???

:lol:

BDD... :{)