1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I think the biggest danger to your computer is...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Virus: Nope
    Yourself: Generally, no..
    Aunt Edna (she wanted to buy you a Christmas gift online, she doesn't have her own computer): Negative

What I think the most dangerous thing to any computer is nerdious falsius. nerdious falsius are hard to spot by the untrained eye. These people act like they know everything about computers, and the untrained eye is easily tricked, until after it touches your computer. The truth of the matter is these people know not much at all about computers and are very dangerous. They can leave huge messes for real computer technicians/geeks to clean up. Many times so bad that it almost isn't worth the time fixing all the problems and your better off reformating. Nerdious falsius are hard to spot, because they still might have their A+ or MCSE or other cert or degree. How can the average population protect themselves from nerdius falsius? When you get your computer fixed, get it fixed from someone reputable in your area, even better is someone that someone else you've known has hired to fix their computer and has done a good job.

How do I know about nerdious falsius? I have seen the damage they have done first hand. I went into a client's site for the first time, and they tell me this story, of how they had someone else come in and "fix" their computers. After he left, everything was in a worse state than it started out in. Everything was slow and lots of errors.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Oh, great post and I totally agree!

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I generally spot nerdius falsius during interviews for jobs I'm applying for.

Used to be I'd sit them in front of a PC running a TelNet session to a Foundry switch and ask them to configure a VLAN using VRRP.

SM

4. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

Thank goodness I know the fdisk command and do not let anyone else fix my computer.
    -Ken also felt that way the last time I fixed his virus collector (computer).
    <small>I have had enough with another f*ing computer expert.</small>

:angel:

5. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Although this is a rare species...never approach one. Don't distrub them.. Let them do what they are doing or have done..

After all Techie....
    These are the same guys/gals that made this Christmas a GREAT one in the mrRT & Sandy household.

They keep screwin 'em up and we keep fixin 'em up......hehehehehe

Any time I see one of those creatures all I see is $$$$$$$$$$..

I'd personally like to thank all those that fall into the Nerdious Falsious classification for making this a wonderful year for me..

:nut:

6. Paul

Paul Registered User

Oh that's too funny.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Back in the Day the Techie Prayer "Thank you God for Packard Bell, as the Bench has been too bare."

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well they have helped me too, but some people deserve better, no matter how much money I want...

I worship the BSOD!

9. dmdvt

dmdvt Guest

mrRT,

That is pretty much how things go here. But after 11 years on doing this and
    people feeling I should do this for free because it is done out of our house.
    Besides we are trying to start, over two years now, a broadband company.

<small>Too bad the moose won't pay for broadband.</small>

10. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

well then ...you definitely got your hands full....lets talk some time...check you PM's