1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what happening?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by cdw, Jan 26, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Ok, i've logged into the forum 3 different times today...
    everytime I come back there is a new look, things are moved around, etc...
    what are ya doin? You're trying to confuse the shit outta me, aren't ya. Well, I'm gonna find my way around come hell or high water, so cut it out. :)

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not sure what you mean, Cyd. Everything looks the same to me.

3. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

This is what my front page now looks like. The last time I logged in, it looked similar but was split up into two sides of the page.
    It's never looked like this before. Once I go into a site, and then go back to the front page, it's the "old" look.

Hello, cydweeks.

Since your last visit, there are:
    no new articles released
    1 new forum thread started
    13 new forum posts
    View New Posts
    Private Messages
    You have no new messages since your last visit to our web site.
    Web Site Search

Advanced Search
    Web Site Quick Links
    Global Affairs.org Main Page
    Forums Main Page
    Online Users
    There are 39 online users browsing:
    29 members and 10 visitors

Web Site Poll
    What Post Was THE Post of the Month for December?
    Steve Moore's post on Korea
    My post on meaning.
    Bob Astles Post on Manipulating Power.
    What went wrong post by Misu.
    Personal post by Sunriser13 here.
    Non-Paying Tax Class post here by Sunriser13
    Bruzzes post on A Short Primer
    Stevent's Is a society free of prejudice even possible?
    Limygit's post on Human Rights and labor
    Shinytop's post on Tired of the Bashers

Total: 37 votes
    This poll is closed.
    Poll Review

Remember Garry Powers?
    Posted by IamZed on 01-26-2003 10:09 AM - 6 comments
    Cant we get some new planes?

read 51 times - last comment by Jedi Writer

Looks like the UK is waffling on Iraq
    Posted by Advocat on 01-26-2003 09:08 AM - 13 comments
    Blair says inspectors need more time

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said this morning that UN inspectors should have more time and, though he's still prepared to aid the US, he wants a UN resolution before attacking. Seems he's trying to appease the large segment of UK citizens who aren't happy about Blair's stand: "I have always said the inspectors should have the time to do their job," he told the BBC. "But what is important is that their job is not to repeat what happened in the 1990s."

Asked whether they should have weeks or months, he replied "Well, I don't believe it will take them months to find out whether he is cooperating or not, but they should have whatever time they need."

The prime minister downplayed the significance of the report inspectors are to deliver to the Security Council Monday, saying it was "just the first full report, there'll be other reports."

He said that if the weapons inspectors eventually determine Iraq is in breach of the United Nations resolution demanding it disarm, Britain believed it was very important to secure a second resolution authorizing the use of force.

"There is only one set of circumstances in which I've said we'd move without one," he said. "That is the circumstance where the U.N. inspectors say he's not cooperating and he's in breach of the resolution ... but the U.N., because someone, say, unreasonably uses their veto, blocks a resolution."

read 105 times - last comment by midranger4

The CIA's Secret Army
    Posted by Advocat on 01-26-2003 08:36 AM - 4 comments
    Seems that the CIA has been quietly rebuilding it's Special Operations Group (SOG) over the last five years. CIA Director George Trent started enlarging the front-line paramilitary section soon after taking over the agency.

This extensive Time article gives info on: CIA history; how SOG is going to be used today; and discusses inter-agency rivalry between the CIA and the military

CIA's Secret Army

read 54 times - last comment by mike

British Concerns over US Path
    Posted by Advocat on 01-26-2003 12:42 AM - no comments
    An interesting article from the Washington Post... seems that while Blair is fully backing the US, British citizens are not so gung-ho...
    British War Concerns Grow into Resentment

read 21 times - make a comment

Afghan Women Driving Again
    Posted by ethics on 01-25-2003 08:25 PM - 8 comments
    In a small, quiet victory for women in Afghanistan, nineteen-year-old Giti Negbin, who works as a computer programmer in Kabul, explains why she wants to be driver:
    "It's so that we can solve our problems by ourselves. Not just driving, we want to do everything where we can solve problems ourselves."

Women have not been allowed to drive since 1992.

Full story...

read 54 times - last comment by Coot

That Pregnant Missing Woman
    Posted by ethics on 01-25-2003 05:30 PM - 34 comments
    I know this topic will eventually get to this forum, so I might as well blurt it out.

In this case of a missing woman, anyone want to make a bet that it was the husband?

The woman who was having an affair with Laci Peterson's husband came forward Friday night to say she did not know Scott Peterson was married and that she was not involved in the pregnant woman's disappearance.

read 262 times - last comment by Jedi Writer

We Didn't Mean Dumb Down Version For Blacks
    Posted by ethics on 01-25-2003 12:45 PM - 15 comments
    The New Jersey Education Association's Web site features a brochure for download called "Getting Involved in Your Child's School." It comes in three versions; the first is simply described as "a parent's resource" (links in PDF format). The second is written in Spanish, but the third is curious. It's called the "African-American version."

Why is an African-American version necessary? Who knows, but there are differences between the text of two versions.

For example, here's how the "parent's resource" answers the question: "Why do teachers need my help?":

Today, there is an increasing emphasis on individualized instruction--fitting the curriculum to the child. Teachers want to employ new methods and materials to give each child personal guidance.

When you assist teachers with growing paperwork, make instructional materials, or conduct a science experiment, you give them more time for planning activities, for trying new teaching strategies, and for working directly with children. As a parent volunteer, you allow them to be more effective teachers--and the school obtains your skills and services that might be unavailable due to financial limitations.

Here's how the "African-American version" answers the same question:

Today, teachers want to use new methods and materials to give each child personal guidance.
    When you assist teachers, you give them more time to work with children. You allow them to be more effective teachers.

I actually like the African-American version better; it takes just 36 words to say the same thing the parent's resource says in 91. But another way of looking at it is that the New Jersey teachers union seems to think their material has to be dumbed down for the benefit of black parents?

Apparently so,

The New Jersey Education Association admits it made a mistake in posting on its Web site a dumbed-down "African American version" of a brochure on parents volunteering in the schools, the Trenton Times reports. "It was just a mistake," teachers union spokeswoman Karen Joseph tells the Times. "We make mistakes, too, and we acknowledge it, and as soon as it was discovered, we said we need to fix this."

Can I hear a "WTF?"

read 164 times - last comment by Jedi Writer

Latest Forum Discussions what happening?
    01-26-2003 04:45 PM cydweeks
    Views: 9 Replies: 1 Warcraft 3 Expansion
    01-26-2003 04:37 PM ethics
    Views: 2 Replies: 0 Macromedia & PHP
    01-26-2003 03:41 PM ethics
    Views: 9 Replies: 2 Palestinian Movie Snubbed by A...
    01-26-2003 03:03 PM Omar
    Views: 12 Replies: 1 Been a busy day :)
    01-26-2003 03:02 PM midranger4
    Views: 20 Replies: 2 SuperBowl SnackTime
    01-26-2003 03:02 PM mrRT
    Views: 12 Replies: 1 SuperBowl Commercials
    01-26-2003 03:00 PM mrRT
    Views: 19 Replies: 2 STUPID I FRAMES!! Help Please
    01-26-2003 01:43 PM Sydney
    Views: 37 Replies: 7 Canadian Librarians defending ...
    01-26-2003 01:11 PM Robert Harris
    Views: 57 Replies: 9 ROTF! Hey Copzilla!
    01-26-2003 01:01 PM Biker
    Views: 58 Replies: 8 Recent Articles Views On America, Iraq, and Wh...
    01-25-2003 11:11 AM Steve Moore
    Read: 21 times Comments: 0 "Readin' and Writin' and Robbe...
    01-25-2003 09:46 AM BigDeputyDog
    Read: 85 times Comments: 11 CT receiving smallpox virus
    01-24-2003 11:08 PM Domhain
    Read: 103 times Comments: 18 Public School, Private Home, A...
    01-24-2003 08:13 PM ethics
    Read: 72 times Comments: 11 Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
    01-24-2003 05:43 PM Cariad
    Read: 55 times Comments: 8