1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Does Your Forums Memberships Say About You?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jul 9, 2016.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Many years ago when I bought my first privately owned pistol I joined a gun forum to learn about the gun I had bought. They also had a lounge which posted about topics of the day or anything you wished.

I realized soon that I was more liberal than most on the board. But in the past year or so the outright racism of many members began bothering me. I believe in freedom of speech but the posts in the past months have gone overboard to the point of many advocating racial war.

Today I sent a message to the staff of that forum resigning my membership because I believe allowing such hatred filled posts encourages more of the same. I did want to be a member of such a forum.

I know I changed nothing and I will miss reading the posts of many of the members, but it was something I needed to do.

Allene likes this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's unfortunate that some sites allow things to get that bad. Then there's the reverse where you can't even toss out an idea for discussion without being accused of being a bigot, racist, (insert insult of the week here ______).

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Was this surprising for you? Honest question. To me, this is par for the course with the pro-gun lobbying.