1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do we know about obesity?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Sep 19, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Dunno... One thing this article skirts around is how obese people became obese in the first place, except for a couple of paragraphs:

I get it that diets aren't the answer, and the article makes one point about the efficacy of persistent, face-to-face counseling. But I still think that most obesity is the result of shoving too many calories into our pie holes.

Everything You Know About Obesity Is Wrong

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Except for people with clear serious metabolic conditions overweight is strictly more calories in than calories burned.

Interestingly, the single best statistical predictor of lifespan in the United States is the fewer calories you eat the longer you live. One of the strongest anecdotal proofs healthy people in their eighties, nineties and 100 or more are almost all thin and have been thin all of their lives. Not surprisingly they have never been big eaters.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think you are both right. What started happening in the last 10 years is that too many obese folks who are NOT under serious metabolic condition that makes then overweight, are using that as their argument.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's not just that. It's politically incorrect to tell someone they weigh too much. Heaven forbid you deny something to someone because of their weight. You're then crucified by social media and the press.

ethics likes this.
  5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

If you look at older versions of the Food Pyramid, the bottom and biggest layers up until 1980 was fruits and vegetables. In 1980, the bottom turned to carbohydrates (breads, cereals, pasta).

Dontchaknow, that's when our obesity (and occurrences of Diabetes) levels started climbing. If/when you develop Diabetes, what's the first thing they tell you to do? More fruits and vegetables, less carbs.