1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, I Called That One Right

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

About four years ago, my partners and I sold the property we'd been holding in HK for seven figures, and immediately became members of the 1%. I see that our timing was almost impeccable--it takes a LOT to get Hongkies politically motivated to take risks like this, because like urban Manhattanites and residents of the Hollywood Hills, they're the most self-involved people on the planet. But I guess more than a decade and a half of Beijing welshing on its agreements has been the proverbial straw, and now Hong Kong is stepping closer to a showdown with the happy People's Republic of China.

Local markets have been taking it in the shorts, the HK (and southern China) economy is reeling, and now, Taiwan is entering the fray. Look for Beijing to start rolling some heavy metal through the New Territories and Kowloon to start, ah, enforcing order...once they can tear themselves away from important tasks like conducting cavity searches on pigeons.

Seriously, the PRC tries to position itself internationally as a modest broker of goodwill, and they continue to deny their own people (not that the mainlanders have ever thought of HK as their own, even though they're Han Chinese) some basic human rights? And these are the people who are going to eclipse America? Give me a break. The Chinese couldn't even get a waterboarding session right.

ethics likes this.