1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Modem problem

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Jul 10, 2015.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Here's the setup: In 2002 I signed up with Earthlink for Internet. At that time, Earthlink was in a partnership with Comcast. Comcast provided the install, modem and cable connection. Several years later, they had a nasty falling out and I fell through the cracks.

Fast forward to today. For work, I had to access a website for a short period of time to get a news article. I can't access it. Out of the hundreds of websites my family and I access on a regular basis, I can't get to this one particular website. I get a "Server Not Found" on whatever browser I try.

Through hardware troubleshooting I determine it is the router that is blocking the website. 2nd level Comcast tech support is blaming it on the "Earthlink boot file" in the modem (I got this particular modem 2-3 years ago) and refuses to take care of it unless I buy a Comcast package. Of course it's an additional $10 a month.

Considering I don't need to access that particular website any more, this is not a pressing issue. I'm concerned that more sites might be affected.

Is there anything I can do to the modem config?

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

This does not directly answer your question but I'd like to add some general advice for all consumers.

Join one of the major web hosters like 1and1.com and get your own domain. Depending on the rarity of your last name you may need "mylastname.com" or "firstname-lastname.com" or something like that. I have a rare name so one of my domains is my last name.com.

The reason I suggest this is that you free yourself from ISPs with your email. Change providers, the say "do you want an an email account?", just say "no. I brought my own."

I've gone through a dozen ISP changes and never once had to change any emails. Doesn't affect even my email program (client).

I just say, "No thanks, I don't need your email server."

By the way I also fore go their DNS servers. I use 8.8.8.8 (Google) and 4.2.2.1 etc. I don't want anything from my ISP except something that connects me to the Internet. I don't want any of the rest of their crap.