1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Browsers

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Many people just use Internet Explorer or AOL and are happy surfing the web. However I was never happy with MSIE. It is no secret a while back Opera 7 Beta 2 came out and I converted. I love it. The features are numerous (set automatic page refresh to an interval of your choosing, and tons of other power browsing options), the GUI is great, it doesn't feel bloated, and the new rendering engine they made for version 7 is superb.

So I'm curious, what web browser is everyone else using? What do you like about your web browser?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Opera 7B2. :)

3. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Mozilla 1.2.1 for the most part. I like the tabbed browsing because I tend to flit back and forth between several web sites/forums. I used Phoenix for a while but it seems that development for Moz is forging ahead faster, and I like playing with new toys :)

I use IE for certain things ... online banking, remote access to my desktop at work, flash/java heavy pages, and comparing how my site looks between the two browsers (when I actually have the time/inclination to work on it).

4. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Always been an IE guy but have been thinking of taking the plunge with Opera and/or Crazy Browser only because of all the ink it gets in forums of this nature.

You likely have motivated me to take the next step Techie.

How bout a link to a site where I can obtain Opera?

5. Techie2000

http://www.opera.com/

After you get it, I suggest first just playing around, and then start poking at their help pages to get your plugins working and learning how to use all the new features. The only downside to Opera is the free version has ads after 14 days.

6. ethics

Best part of Opera for me?

Hold right mouse button while clicking the left. :)

7. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

i'm a brainwashed IE user :).

years back, i used some other browser, but i forgot the name of it-----it was some small little company that made it, but it looked cool as hell. worked pretty good from what i remember. if i remember the name i'll post it, but my memory isn't what it used to be LOL. too many hits on the noggin i guess :).

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I've been using Netscape since something like ver. 0.9x, and have never found any reason to switch. Up to v. 6 right now.

Tried Opera once, several versions back, and it kept crashing my system so I dumped it and have never tried it agaion.

IE sucks, and it is on my system only because it installs with Win 98SE. Use it occasionallya and just don't like its feel. Probably a matter of what you get used to.

Played with Mozilla when visitng my son a while back. Seems OK but I am too lazy to contemplate another switch of anything.

9. Techie2000

Robert, Netscape 6, and Mozilla, are the same thing...:haha:

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Not quite, but close. NS 6 uses the underlying Mozilla engine but there are differences on top of that. Don't ask me to remember them now because it has been quite a while since I played with Mozilla.

11. Techie2000

Lack of Pop-up blocker, spell checker, and AOL IM tingy...

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I've always used IE but am very close to installing Opera for a look see. Are they going to get on together or is there the potential for problems if running both on the same PC?
    I have ME on the box I intend installing it in so I suppose anythings possible. :(

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Techie, I'm having fun right now with Opera 6.05 that came with JRE 1.3.
    The new mouse moves are a cool idea and quick. Lots to learn here mate so I'll be off to learn some more.

Beta's make me wary so I stayed clear of 7. :thumbsup:

14. ethics

7 is sooo much better though, even beta. :)

15. Techie2000

Glad you like it. I still say 7 is better. It's the most stable beta I've ever used. They'll have no problem. Also Opera 7 Beta 2 is compatible with that new thing where you can choose your web browser in the start menu preferences or preferred browser in the Add/Remove Programs panel. I've had no conflicts between the two.

16. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I still use IE. I've tried Opera and a few others over the years, but I always end up back with IE.

I guess I'm just a creature of habit and tend to stick to what I know. :)

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'm going to stick with Opera and get to know it better. It seems faster as all the claims indicate. Lots of new or different features and some I haven't found yet I'm sure.
    You say 7 Beta 2 is out now. When is the final version expected?

18. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

The last time I tried Opera (version 6 I think), I had problems with the way it rendered a few sites I frequent. I had the same problem with Mozilla 1. I will give Opera 7 B2 a try and see if I like it or if I come back to IE6...yet again.

By the way, why do some people hate IE so much? Is it just because of Microsoft? I admit that tabbed windows is nice, but it isn't enough to justify abandoning IE(besides, Microsoft will add it as a feature eventually). To me, stability, speed and rendering quality are the most important things in a browser, and ever since version 4, I have found IE to be the best for me.

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The controls to insert vB Code, above as I type, are greyed out. :( .
    Can someone give me a clue on how to make them appear as they do in IE?

Thanks. :)

20. ethics

Upgrade to 7. I had the same problem with 6.

And although the vbCodes are doubled for me in 7, they are still functional. :)