1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather Apps

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Jul 5, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Basically: Quoting from the study itself:

Temperature Forecasts
    AccuWeather’s high temperature and overall (high and low combined)
    temperature forecasts had the lowest average absolute error. AccuWeather also had the highest
    percentage of high temperature forecasts and overall temperatures within 3°F

The Weather Channeland Weather Underground tied for least average absolute error and most temperatures within3°F for low temperature forecasts.

Precipitation Forecasts
    AccuWeather’s performance for probability of precipitation (POP) forecast
    accuracy was the best among the five providers analyzed. It achieved both the best Brier score as
    well as the best average absolute error when POP forecasts were compared to observed precipitation events.

Wind Speed Forecasts
    AccuWeather’s wind speed forecast accuracy was the best among the six
    providers analyzed, ranking the highest for both average absolute error and average bias

Why are all my weather apps different?

Allene likes this.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Interesting. Acurite (home weather stations) uses DarkSky for its forecasting.

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Who does WTForecast use?

4. Arc

Arc Full Member

Wunderground has been my choice for about 10 years. The one thing it does poorly for the specific area I live in is the wind direction by the speed and time of day. As an avid road cyclist* that's annoying to me as the wind has a significant impact on the effort required, fatigue, and obtainable max speeds. (*Yeah, I know, "who cares" says everyone else.) :)

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Wunderground has long been my choice for hurricane predictions as they show all the different models. I use Weather Channel for the radar to see where the daily rain showers are going.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wunderground USED to be my go to, but switched to Accuweather as soon as they've implemented pressure predictions for migraines

7. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

8. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Yeah, Memphis was like that a couple days ago, except the heat index added another 10-15 degrees on top of that.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

When I first went with Cricket, they used Accuweather as the default weather app on their service. Recently they changed over to The Weather Channel. I preferred Accuweather.