1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We Were Soldiers

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Just watched this movie again. It reminds me that I don't know how those who experienced war cannot be anti-war. It also reminded me why I don't watch it often.

Allene and ethics like this.
  2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I am very anti-war. I would be more than happy to never see another war or otherwise violent conflict between two people, peoples, religions or countries. I pray every day that this happens.

When I play wargames, I never let myself forget that those units represent men and women who kill and die.

While I pray for peace, I realize that there are people out there with hate in their hearts and given a chance, they will impose their will on mine without my permission or consent.

That being said, I have made the choice to die on my feet rather than live on my knees. That means we, as individuals, a community and a country, must be ready physically and mentally to fight if that becomes necessary.

Peace is not the opposite of war. Slavery is the opposite of war.

Allene likes this.
  3. ShinyTop

I don't disagree with you. Too many politicians believe an Army must be used for war rather than insure the peace.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've never seen that movie, Shiny. I'm off to check on it in a minute. Sometimes war is necessary, but I can think of some in my lifetime that weren't.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

After I posted that, I wanted to come back and add to it:

We need to be able to trust our leaders. That trust has to include that if we are to commit the riches of this nation along with the blood of our military that they are spent on worthwhile causes.

Our military forces are not "Meals on Wheels" because a dictator is treating his people badly. If that dictator represents a threat to the National Security of the United States, the military should be tasked with destroying his military capabilities, then to hunt him down and step on his neck while putting a bullet between and slightly above his eyes. But he better damn will represent an active and realistic threat to our interests.

I just saw a meme of Bush 43, who had his arms around some troops. It said, "G.W. Bush may not have been the best President, however you never doubted which side he was on."

6. Arc

Arc Full Member

War is old men talking and young men dying more often than not for policy or political causes that almost always ultimately prove pointless. Too often we die or are grievously wounded for the benefit of someone else's country instead of our own. In combat you don't fight for things like politics, policy, or foreign interests. That's all bullshit. All you fight for is yourself and the guys around you.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

There is once in your lifetime snippets that you come across and remember for the rest of your life. That moment for me was reading/watching the following scene from All Quiet on the Western Front:

The kid soldier comes home, after seeing the horrors of WWI (and there were MASSIVE horrors) and there's a discussion in a tavern by old men. He tries to interject and one of them says, "oh what do you know of it?!?" knowing

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I loved that movie and also the book.

ethics likes this.
  9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

We Were Soldiers (to me) is one of the better Vietnam War movies.

10. ShinyTop

Funny thing, I realized I had never read the book. Am about half way through it now. Should be required reading for any military officer.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Leon. I went to look and found both a movie and a TV series.
    so I'll go back later and look at the movie information. Maybe I can get it on Netflix. So it is about Vietnam--the most depressing of wars for me because of how they treated the troops coming back from hell.

12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Shiny, there's a sequel. Moore and Galloway went back to Vietnam around the beginning of the century.

13. ShinyTop

I an around 60% through the book. There have been many references to the battle from after action reports of the enemy. The end of the battle in the movie was only the mid point in the battle. The relief forces for LTC Moore's 1/7 were told to march to LZ Albany and were struck hard on the way and on the arrival. They suffered more casualties but appear to be from inexperienced leadership. Not surprising in our early days in VN. Hal Moore was an exceptional leader. He kept his head in the big picture and thought of what he would do if he were the enemy and then countered it before the enemy did it. This is not just from reading his book but from reading some others of the same set of battles.

I will have to look for that sequel.

14. ShinyTop

My experiences with the 1st Cav were years later. We had the 1st Bde with us at the base camp at Phuoc Vinh where we lived in barracks and had paved airfields. 2nd Bde was located at the big AF base at Binh Hoa. 3rd Bde was out in the boonies and resembles the camps described by the authors of the books I am reading. Tents and dugouts. I had a platoon supporting each of these brigades and spent time at each location.

Funny but true story, each unit dug their own latrine. You had a half barrel under the seat. My men dug their's and a unit of the 3rd bde commandeered it. So my men put nails in the seat and wired the nails to a TA-312 telephone. When you cranked the phone's handle it put out voltage strong enough to ring the ringer on a phone many miles away. When the first man from the offending unit sat down my men cranked the phone. Trouble is they kept cranking. The victim had two cracks in his skull. The first from his jump when the cranking began, the second from when he landed back on the seat and jumped again. My men got him medical attention and removed all evidence. I was not given the details until a drunken party the men threw me just before I left command. I was glad I did not know of it when questioned!

dsl987 likes this.
  15. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You can fish with those field phones, too! They put out enough juice to stun any fish near the wires while you crank that puppy up!

16. ShinyTop

I have heard of the wires being attached to urinal cakes but I hope that is just legend.