1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need to research the crap out of this!

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

screenshot_34.png

Full article here. This is what war on drugs has brought upon us, scorched earth policy. Throwing away potentially awesome drugs to help people is ridiculous.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I prefer to just deal up front with whatever life hands me, but that's just me. I'm not telling the rest of you what to do.

3. ethics

I doubt you've read the article.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I skimmed through it. I was in Boston when O'Leary was there. I am one of those people who is either allergic to drugs or overly sensitive to them. Some should never be given to anyone over 65 years of age, and the doctors don't always keep that in mind. Versed made a total mess of my mind for nearly two days after just 20 minutes of surgery when I was in my mid-60s. It's supposed to wear off quickly after surgery, but I apparently couldn't metabolize it normally. Then I found out by doing Internet research that I was right about that. I shudder to think how I'd handle anything from the drug family discussed in this article. Like I said already, this is how I feel about it. I don't expect the rest of you to agree with me.

5. ethics

Allene, one thing I've realized when I was getting older is that one paintbrush doesn't fit all of us. What works for me, may not work for you. In the case of end of life anxiety, depression, and just plain fear, for a drug to have a 6 month affect on someone is a GOOD thing, no matter how you look at the topic of psychedelics.

I am not expecting you to embrace my view nor agree with me, I am asking you to understand that this may be beneficial to other human beings who may need it.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I did already understand that. That was why I wrote this in my first response: I prefer to just deal up front with whatever life hands me, but that's just me. I'm not telling the rest of you what to do.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Part of the problem is the whole counter-culture mindset that Leary et.al. helped create in the 60s. Because of this, it's going to be a huge uphill battle to overcome any preconceived notions regarding the use of what was traditionally a recreational drug from that era. In a way, those that embraced the whole "tune out" era and are now attempting to reverse that are their own worst enemy.

8. ethics

I don't disagree as to why, but the people being punished for the 60's aren't the ones who should be though.

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

From Wikipedia, which is never wrong because the Perfesser said so:

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Holy crap! I wonder what this could do for emotionally injured people. Can you imagine the possible benefits to someone with PTSD?

And I wonder too about people who have suffered TBIs.

11. ethics

Exactly. I think we need to research the crap out of this and put away our ancient stigmas.