1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We can't even understand each other!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

On Dec. 6th, Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Manly met with Homeland Security Adviser Tom Ridge to discuss North American Security.
    From the newspaper reports of the meeting, I'm not even sure the two were in the same room!
    :huh:

Here's the Associated Press report on the meeting:
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20021206_1384.html

And here's the Canadian Press piece on the same meeting:
    http://canada.com/victoria/story.asp?id={089D940F-5683-4893-A23F-8BB07C784E33}

AP reports there's no big deal, just checks for truckers and frequent travellers. CP says Ridge wants everyone travelling in each direction to be checked.

Now, is this:
    - the fault ofthe media (reporting with their own biases)?
    - the fault of the people being interviewed?
    - or is this the official news viewpoint of each office?

If it's the way each office is viewing the results of the meeting, we're not even in the same volume, let alone on the same page!

<small><b>(Edit: clarity)</b></small>

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Canadians don't listen cause they know they are right and Americans must therefore be wrong. ;)

3. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Hmmm... seems like a disease suffered by all nations. :haha:

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I think we understand one another, the other side is wrong.

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Yeah, so what's your point? ;)

But seriously, this is very interesting. The two reports really are quite different.

The AP article more or less says that Canadians are ready and willing to go along with what Ridge wants, except that <i>"quite a bit more work"</i> is needed.

The CP article more or less says that Canadians are <u>not</u> ready and willing to go along with what Ridge wants (finger-printing of Canadian citizens), and <i>"Quite frankly, we don't know how we're going to work this one out."</i>

It would seem that the AP article left out some important detail, and did not report the outcomes of the meeting very accurately. However, the CP article focused more on citizen issues and not foriegn nationals travelling from Canada to the US. I'm not sure which scenario you suggested fits best, but I will try to sum it up from a Canadian's viewpoint, living in the US:

I think the American people want to feel assured that terrorists will not be sneaking in from the Canadian border. Reporting that the Canadian goverment is balking at entry-exit plans may give the public a sense of insecurity, and perhaps that Ridge is not doing his job and being tougher on Canadians. Meanwhile, Manley is really only balking at plans to impead citizens' freedom to travel across the border without being interogated, and not foriegn nationals. I don't think there's an intentional bias... but nonetheless, one exists. Also, Canadian's like to see their government stand up to the big bully next door. ;)

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Our press is dumb. Their press is dumb. Each side tells its version of dumb and dumber. Neither knows the truth.