1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WE ARE THE 99 PERCENT!!!

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I got a notification on my iPhone from the NYT that police are clearing out Zucotti Park?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Correct. About time too.!

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yep, police were staging in the neighborhood at 6:30am.

SM

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

5. ethics

Bob, what's not clear is whether or not Brookfield Properties -- who own that park -- were on par with Mayor. If they were, the Judge has no legal precedent. I have a feeling while they were "concerned" they didn't officially ask Mayor to remove them.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

I see a big difference between being allowed to exercise free speech vs. being allowed to camp and pitch a tent. All the parks everywhere should be cleared out each night to protect public safety and to provide sanitation to protect the public health. I'm not receptive to their message but they should be allowed to assemble and protest in the daytime as long as they leave each night.

7. ethics

Judge rules against ows and in city's favor, denies motion to allow protesters to return unfettered to Zuccotti Park. Later assholes.

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

What amazes me is that there are a lot of posters who do not realize all the help they qualify for if they would simply look for it. Protesting is not going to solve your problems. What is going to help, is making the effort to find answers to your problem.

For example, there is one who complains he needs hearing aids to work but he cannot afford to either get the ones he has fixed or pay for new ones. Every state has a vocational rehab office that will provide you with whatever you need to join the work force including hearing aids, tuition, etc. You have to meet some qualifications but once those are met, the help you get is simply fantastic.

Rehab paid for my tuition so I could get an A.Sc. degree in paralegal studies and also paid (twice) for hearing aids for me.

Help is out there but you cannot get it if all you do is wallow in self-pity and try to get others to solve problems that you can deal with if you only put some effort into solving them. Life is not utopia and is not going to be any time soon.

Less sign waving and more research into how to solve your problems is what is needed.

1 person likes this.
  9. ethics

Everything you needed to know as to what was happening at Zucotti park before they were kicked out.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-16-2011/occupy-wall-street-divided?xrs=share_copy

10. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Very good perspective there, although the tents are banned now.
    I would be expecting it to mutate into the "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" atmosphere followed by the "Gangs of New York" atmosphere.

11. mikeky

mikeky Member

According to this AP article, some of the top things the OWS crowd would like to focus on:

-return bankruptcy protection to student loans
    -bring back regulations that were removed from the Glass-Steagall Act that separated commercial banking from investment banking
    -end corporate personhood
    -limit campaign donations and getting big money out of politics
    -limit the amount of money a person is allowed to give a politician
    -ban corporate donations
    -limit the number of campaign ads
    -eliminate the two-party system
    -address higher education costs
    -moratorium on foreclosures
    -tax on big financial transactions.

12. ethics

This is just SOME things that even a centrist would like. Unfortunately, they want much more than that. Nice try AP

13. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I was going to say, that list is MUCH different that what I see people say on interviews.

14. SixofNine

Yeah, I don't see "abolish money" on that list.

15. ethics

Or Capitalism needs to go. Or redistribute the wealth... Like I said, nice try AP. funny how they didn't move the ideas of the Tea Party to the center and did quite the opposite..

16. Greg

Greg Full Member

these

17. ethics

18. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I love Peter Schiff. He ran for office here in CT but didn't make it because the Dems and GOP fear him like crazy. He can be a loudmouthed boisterous prick, but he's dead-on right about a lot of things...and most of those things are important things, which frighten the hell out of the "professional political establishment" we have in Connecticut.

19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This is causing some extreme foaming at the mouth in some circles.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/07/opinion/navarrette-newt-gingrich/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

20. SixofNine

I would agree. I'm not sure if it holds today, but before the financial system cratered there were a lot of college grads expecting to be handed six-figure entry level jobs. The same thing went on pre-Internet bubble. I remember a partner on the consulting side at Price Waterhouse telling me in the mid to late 1990s that not only were college graduates expecting the big salaries, they weren't interested in doing entry level work, either.