1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

Brandie is a fine example of somebody who is shooting themselves in the foot by associating with a poorly defined public protest group. WTF is she doing there anyway? She's in her 5th year, not finished.
  2. Greg

Greg Full Member

I think a big part of the problem is that we're at a historic low (since the Great Depression) of opportunities to "make something of yourself." For example, starting a new business faces the problem that consumers are very reluctant to spend money except for essential items. That rules out or at least significantly handicaps businesses that sell anything other than essentials.

If the economy improved all this OWS shit would go away.
  3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

God damn it, I deserve a $6,000,000 publishing deal with Hachette. I'm going to go join OWS! :rolleyes:

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

5. ethics

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

"Just watching the stupid people like you." I love it! :rofl:
  7. Biker

Hmmm. Looks like that 99% may be just 47%, and the other 53% are getting rather honked about being included in their idiocy.

8. ethics

9. mikeky

mikeky Member

10. ethics

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

LOL, Jennings a 99%er. He made a gazillion dollars playing a GAME, and now thinks he got screwed doing it. I hope he is kidding. If not, he's not nearly as smart as I thought he was.
  12. Sierra Mike

I think he's playing a joke, Copz.

13. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Read of the day: http://thedinnertableblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/message-to-ows-why-you-arent-part-of-the-1/
  14. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The rest of the 99%ers on the site that is linked are serious though. :shrug:
  15. Biker

That image has been shopped. Don't recall what the original was, but the text on that piece of paper has definitely been added as a "joke".
  16. mikeky

mikeky Member

Olsen doesn't seem to fit the mold of the slacker protester.

17. ethics

Read reddit about the incident. It's a liberal hivemind over there and yet they admit he was in a group of violent thugs. There were over a million people who served and rotated in Iraq and Afghanistan. Yet one vet and liberals adopted him as the face of all vets.
  18. Biker

What a difference 70 years makes, huh?

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

Tom, those two photos speak louder than words. This striking contrast in attitudes is something I think about a lot lately. In general, you can't even compare the young people of 1944 with their peers in 2011.The maturity gap is just HUGE! I say "in general" because there are always exceptions.

I'm the family historian, so one of my brothers thought I should have my father's WWII Canadian Army Soldier's Service Pay Book that had been in an old trunk at home for many years.The book says, "You will always carry this book on your person when on duty, and on active service." Inside the yellowed pages of this book I found a photo of me when I was about 7 months old. He was 28 years old when I, his first child, was born in April. He was shipped overseas in September of that year for what would normally have been the duration of the war. What a sacrifice that must have been for him. He was only over there for 10 months due to very poor health, but he didn't know that would happen when he left. Merely crossing the North Atlantic from Halifax to Scotland was an act of courage back then, although he was one of the lucky ones who went over on the stripped-down Queen Mary, which was too fast for the U-boats to keep up with. It is just humbling to think of the sacrifices these young people made. How sad that some of our young people are so self-absorbed and immature.

20. Sierra Mike

Wow, if that ain't spot on...