1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WE ARE THE 99 PERCENT!!!

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

You know, life really is kind of tough. Especially now.

But I can't understand why these folks are blaming others for their circumstances. At some point, you have to bootstrap yourself. It sounds heartless to say it, but listen...if you're not going to be able to take care of yourself, then you're part of the problem, whether you care to admit it or not.

I know someone who's terminally out of work. She's smart, educated, has all the right skills...but she's an asshole, and won't contemplate occupations that are "beneath her."

Oh well.

SM

3. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I hear you've been occupying Wall Street on the sly for years...
    disguised as an employee.

I sympathize with the folks who aren't getting the deal they expected, but I don't put the blame on Wall Street. This country needs a Truth IN Education Law (I'll let somebody else figure out a cute anagram). Why does that girl think being a classical musician is worth sympathy points? If she were studying punk guitar you'd tell her right off, "go make coffee at a convenience store, and don't expect to be a star". Why does anybody expect to earn a living as a musician? Why do people believe the "Follow your dreams" crap? It's Make-A-Wish 101, something to do when you somehow aren't working or tired from working. When did it become a promise of personal wealth? Which brings up an old memory, when I had one of my first "real" jobs and like many young men I felt an irresistable urge to rebuild a car engine. I only had one car and a day job so I took the bus to work for a while. I lived at home with Mom, sorry if that disappoints you. Still, there were two girls on the bus every day, and one day it slipped out... "You have a car???" they said, "SUCKER!!!!!!"

That's what I'm talkin' about, people who haven't had a fallback position discover they need one.

(Of course, fiscally responsible conservatives would cancel all subsidized bus service and those girls would be S.O.L., but such is life.)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Excellent posts, Fellas. :)

5. Sierra Mike

Wow, looking at the newer pictures, and some of these people apparently didn't bother to consider their choices when they made them.

$10,000 on paying loans for...a creative writing degree?

Write a book about zombies and sell it on Amazon, you'll make you 10K in a month, sweetheart. But NOOOOOOOOOOOO, that might mean you'd actually have to write something and couple that with a bit of entrepreneurial spirit. I guess work and innovation would cancel out the entitlement mentality, and you'd no longer be cool with your friends.

And college students should be able to spell "field", in my world.

SM

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Precisely! When things get tough, the tough get going! How far back in generations do we need to go before we can find people who can understand that?

7. Sierra Mike

Looks like the cut-off birth year was 1962. :D

SM

8. eakes

eakes Registered User

Thos poor, pitiful little darlins. They are now out of school and suddenly find that the lenders want them to pay back those loans they used to party on at school. Shamefully, there is no one to pat them on the head, wipe their noses and pay off their debts!

Real life is tough - get used to it!

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ha, I gather that's the year you were born!

10. Sierra Mike

Exactly so! My brother was born in 1963, and he might be sitting over in the park in NYC! :D

A lot of these folks do have a remarkable amount of bad luck occurring in their lives, and I'm sympathetic to a lot of them, but many are just hangers-on looking for a handout. And it might sound heartless to say it, but from reading a lot of their notes, it seems like they're only looking for someone to bail them out and make their problems go away.

SM

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Interesting, isn't it, how people in the same family can be so different.

Yes, sometimes people are just slammed with one misfortune after another and really do need a hand to get back on track. We have two types of emergency aid at our church. One is for things like gas, and doesn't go over $25. It doesn't need to be repaid, but if the same person keeps showing up again and again, we don't continue the help. The other is an emergency loan that people are expected to repay by a certain date.

If I were in such dire straits, I'd take whatever work I could find while continuing to look for something in my field. Certainly, it wouldn't involve selling drugs or my body. That's just drama queen stuff.

thing after another

12. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

The problem is that these kooks don't even realize that the nation is laughing at them.

If the fact that Cornell West support this isn't a clue of how out of touch they are, then they have no chance of figuring it out for themselves.

I image most were sleeping in economics and civics classes.

13. Kluge

Getting laughed at is the only form of criticism some people get.
    Sleeping in classes is common among other types, too, thus the large quantity of funding for impractical activities, no? Being good at buying cheap and selling dear doesn't automatically come with the knowledge to evaluate technologies and predict the tides of social change.

Our national ego promises that if we manage our money well, other things will work out in due course. However, many things that young people encounter are more dog-eat-dog than free enterprise. Just consider the narcissism industries if you will allow me to call them that. Drugs, alcohol, branded clothes, popular music, fancy cars. Anybody here remember the discussion about whether college graduates are less unemployed than other workers? How about the part where half of them are not employed in their field of study? Does anybody here or anywhere else have any life experience where they were talking to a college admissions counselor who said "It's 50-50 whether you'll get a job after graduation, and you'll be competing against a small fraction of the student body who are prepared & motivated to succeed in your chosen field of study?" In a country where debt is a ball and chain that handicaps you in relation to all others, there is a huge sales effort that tells young people that taking on debt will give them a head start and get them where thwey want to go. College, cars to drive to work, tools for your trade, computers, software, connectivity, they all cost money up front. My first debt was a student loan and it was decades before I had money in the bank again.

14. Sierra Mike

It's been HOURS since anyone put a new picture up...they can't be at work, can they? ;)

SM

15. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Have you seen their list of demands....

http://occupywallst....wall-st-moveme/

Some of these demands are sort of counter to each other, at least in the normal "economics" point of view...

Fogive all debt (all over the world, no less)? What, then pray tell, is the "living wage" set at? Some arbitrary number?
    Fast track alternative energy, but get rid of fossile fuels AND nuclear power? What do we do then, just wave a magic wand for energy?
    One trillion dollars for this, that, and the next thing? Without any debt and without any investors, where does this money come from? Do we just print it, and expect that everyone will accept it?
    Tariffs on imports but open borders for employment? Aren't these kind of counter to each other? Didn't an isolationist policies cause problems once before?

What exactly, are our institutions of higher education creating. Heaven help us all.

16. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

LOL! I tried to post a comment on the site, but getting a 403 error.

17. Sierra Mike

Wow, what a bunch of stupid, self-serving douchebags.

1 person likes this.
  18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

In short, they want free everything and no accountability at all.

They forgot 20 hour work weeks (provided they feel up to it, of course), and all drugs legalized.

Perfect example of leftist mentality carried to its ultimate conclusion.

19. eakes

eakes Registered User

As I said earlier, their real point is they want someone to step up and pay their debts. They cloak with a demand for world-wide cancelation of debt, but they really want THEIRs canceled.

Beyond that their view of economics and how the world works is comical. their list of 'demands' reads like a wish list from a college party where everyone was stoned on something. They have no understanding of the connection between cost of wages and cost of goods and services. Imagine what a McD's burger would cost if the minimum wage was $20!

I think these folks are scared to death of finally having to go to work and earn a living and are taking there mad out on a convenient bogey man.

20. Kluge

A list of charlatan's promises, the candy man and the pied piper leading them all to public embarrassment.
    Who's going to need a union once everybody earns a living wage 'regardless of employment' ?

All the mass hysteria public demonstrations seem to do is get well meaning people involved before the think things through.
    I wonder if there's anybody running a non-profit org based on this and paying themselves salary with the donations?
    A long time ago I answered an ad for a public interest organization and they told me I could keep up to 75% of the money donated to the cause.
    Given the number of participants that could be a sizable chunk of change. I wonder if they'll invest it?